FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression questions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oliver hill
Compression questions
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:33:31 am

Hello peoples.
I have a few questions on compression I need answered.
Firstly I have a hv30 that records onto hdv tape.
The first lot of footage I shot was 65 mins long. After capturing it through my editing program it produced about 10-15 gig of data on my hard drive. I've read that to get high definition footage onto a hdv tape the camera needs to compress the footage. I've also read that avi is the highest quality format to render to. When I rendered to avi the final product was about 28 gig.
Did this uncompress my footage?
The reason I've started this thread is because I'd like to store my footage in the highest quality format possible. Friends have been telling me that exporting back to the tape seems to be the most common option. I know exporting back to the tape won't lose quality but hard drive space isn't a problem so if rendering it to avi will enhance quality then that's more desirable to me. I'd rather keep my masters on hard drives than tapes.
I hope this makes sense. Any info on this subject would be much appreciated:)
Regards Ollie

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compression questions
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:56:16 pm

Did this uncompress my footage?

No, it simply converted it and wrapped it into a less compression efficient AVI format. It didn't add any quality it just made the file(s) bigger.
A pointless exercise.

You don't mention what editing system you are using, but most NLEs will work with a couple of their own codecs better than the camera codecs. For example if you use FCP then you might want to capture your HDV into the Apple ProRes Codec.. If you use Avid you might want to do the same using the DNxHD codecs.

The highest quality version is the one on the tape. It's worth converting to one of the above codecs if you plan on doing any complex edits, composites etc.

Return to posts index

oliver hill
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:00:11 pm

Cheers Daniel.
I'm currently using Premiere Pro cs4 but will hopefully be upgrading to Avid in a few weeks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:18:14 pm

I'm currently using Premiere Pro cs4 but will hopefully be upgrading to Avid in a few weeks.

Unless you are getting one of the high end Avid systems, I wouldn't consider that an upgrade! CS4 is very good.

Return to posts index

Oliver Hill
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:51:59 pm

-

Return to posts index

Oliver Hill
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:57:44 pm

OK cool I like CS4:) A friend uses avid so I can play with his if need. What's the best codec to capture into with CS4.
Also, as mentioned my first render was a 28g avi. I then exported to mpeg2 which was only 3g. Whats the best format to render to keeping the original quality of the tape.
Regards Ollie

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 2, 2008 at 2:57:37 am

Hi Oliver. In a way, this is becoming an Adobe CS4 digitizing workflow question. You might pose the same question over at the Adobe premier forum if you haven't already and see what others are digitizing to from HDV source material.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Oliver Hill
on Dec 2, 2008 at 4:37:35 am

Howdy Rich.
I've actually started playing around with avid now on a friends pc. I think I'm gonna ditch premiere but thanks for the tip anyhow:)

Stick with me baby, I'll make you a star..

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 3, 2008 at 12:34:02 pm

Wow, I wish was wealthy enough to switch editing systems just like that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]