FORUMS: list search recent posts

flix exporter vs flix pro

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
flix exporter vs flix pro
on Nov 22, 2008 at 2:34:47 am

Hi,
I edit in Final Cut Pro and I want to be able to create good quality Flash videos -- either in an export function from FCP or Compressor, or from a standalone application. I'm looking at On2, since they have long had a reputation for high quality Flash compression, and I don't know whether their Flix Exporter or Flix Pro is a better choice. Can someone who has experience with them give me an opinion? Flix Pro (freestanding) does 2-pass encoding, which makes me think it will deliver better quality. But that's an assumption. Does anyone here have real-life experience comparing these two -- both for quality and for overall capabilities?

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: flix exporter vs flix pro
on Nov 22, 2008 at 9:18:02 am

Do yourself a big favor and buy Epidode instead. Better than Flix and far more useful.

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Nov 22, 2008 at 5:00:07 pm

I appreciate the value of any experienced users' advice. Why is Episode so much better? My main goal is high quality Flash compression. Does Episode do that as well as/better than Flix? What else does Episode have that makes it so much better?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 22, 2008 at 7:49:04 pm

Episode handles all the formats, anything in anything out. It has a far more advanced set of tools to deal with preprocessing like scaling and deinterlacing and is much easier to use. I've used both and it's a no- brainer. . Episode rules on the Mac.

Return to posts index

Dustin Daniels
on Nov 22, 2008 at 11:16:39 pm

I've been using FLIX standard for the past several months and enjoy it. It's a great product. We are getting ready to upgrade to the PRO version for the second pass option along with cropping features.

I just googled Episode, (never hearing of it before) and the version I found is $495 vs. the $250 for the Flix Pro. Is the quality that much better to be twice as much?

Thanks,
-Dustin

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 23, 2008 at 12:00:25 am

$250 gets you Flash 8 support only
$450 gets you Flash 7, 8 & 9, plus every major format out there, and, as I said before, much a much more powerful toolset and potentially much higher quality output.

Think of it this way - when you want to move to doing H.264 Flash, Flix will be useless, Episode does both VP6 an H.264. And a WHOLE bunch more.

http://www.flip4mac.com/pdfs/EpisodeSeries_Format_Support.pdf

Like I said, a no-brainer.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 25, 2008 at 10:24:42 pm

Flix Pro offers the on2 codec and the newer version is
near higher quality and much smaller than H.264 files.

they are both great apps, but nothing touches Flix for
codec flash video quality.

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Nov 25, 2008 at 10:47:44 pm

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the added voice of experience. Looking over the comments I was leaning toward Episode. The need for good Flash compressions is my initial need but I also would like something on the Mac that offers me more choices than Compressor, which I'm using now. I'm a little disappointed in Compressor, having come from some better apps on the PC side, so I guess now I'm looking for Flash and other choices is whatever I buy.

Is Flix so much better at Flash than Episode that you would recommend both for someone in my position? Or should I be able to do well with the Episode Flash compressions -- in your opinion.

thanks.

Ron

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 25, 2008 at 11:22:12 pm

On2 make Flix.

On2 is a Flash codec

On2 license the same codec and libraries to 3rd parties including Telestream/Episode.

None of the Flix desktop software packages are 'great apps' by a long chalk.

Episode is a superior encoding product that includes the same libraries and codec as Flix.

Even if Episode only did On2 Flash output it would still eat Flix for breakfast

I'm not sure how many different ways you need to hear that Episode is MUCH better than Flix!!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 25, 2008 at 11:41:09 pm

"...and the newer version is near higher quality and much smaller than H.264 files"

Please provide some evidence of this claim of yours.

(A link to some blurb on the On2 site won't do!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]