FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor make footage look very interlaced

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Obernesser
Compressor make footage look very interlaced
on Nov 19, 2008 at 11:31:23 pm

Hello to all...
I have a project I am getting ready to throw into compressor. I wanted to test which way would be best, mind you that it is a 20 min project and I am exporting in a Quicktime7 streaming format at 800 whatever the last bit is. I have finished a test on the compression and I did make the screen size 640x486. That was the setting it told me to use. The footage looks very interlaced, if that makes any sense. Basically when the camera moves or a subject moves you see interlaced black lines. Any idea on what i could change so I don't see this? I like that the file is around 127mb or so, but I want good looking footage as well.

Thanks for any and all advise!
Chuck

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor make footage look very interlaced
on Nov 20, 2008 at 12:28:23 am

Errm, did you apply any deinterlacing in compressor?

P.S. you probably need to make the frame size 640x480 not 486

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Nov 20, 2008 at 1:21:17 am

I believe so, I looked over the settings and it was on lower. I am NTSC. It may have been 480 sorry on that.

Chuck
Streamline Concepts
http://www.streamlineconcepts.org

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:52:02 am

You need to be sure you've deinterlaced, the best method is by using the option in Frame Controls

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Nov 20, 2008 at 2:09:28 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Frame controls, I used the automatic preset. Not sure if that was the right choice, I just didn't know how the rest of the controls worked. Any idea if I were to use the custom presets what I should set the numbers to. What I am doing is making a video website showing businesses in the area. Going SD on a Sony FX1 and using a canon XL2. I could go 30p, but then that would cancel out the Sony since it's the FX1. Thanks again though for the help and guidance!

Chuck

Return to posts index

Chuck Obernesser
on Nov 20, 2008 at 2:13:58 pm

Sorry, but here is a still shot of what I am looking at.

Chuck
Streamline Concepts
http://www.streamlineconcepts.org

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Nov 23, 2008 at 5:07:54 pm

Frame controls use advanced image processing and yield excellent results. Unfortunately, frame controls can also make your encode time horribly slow if you use it the wrong way.

I suggest you take your video and transcode using an intermediate codec, either Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or Apple ProRes before creating your h.264 streaming file. This will save you tons of time. I use ProRes because it can handle 8 or 10 bit images plus it is uses a 4:2:2 color compression and not an 8 bit - 4:2:0 like the AIC. Anyhow, I digress, when you activate frame controls the software defaults to Output Fields: Same as source. This needs to say Progressive. Once you create this intermediate (huge), de-interlaced file, then you can create your streaming h.264.

Feel free to download my preset that I've made for de-interlacing here. Right click on the PD1.setting to download.

To sum up, you do not want to use frame controls when creating your streaming file. Use frame controls with an Intermediate codec when you're re-timing, re-sizing, or de-interlacing. Create your web based file from the Intermediate file. Archive or delete your intermediate file when you're done.

Try this compression method with a couple of seconds with your video - no need to waste all that time if it's not going to work right the first time. (When it comes time to create your web based file and you notice a gamma shift, we'll start or join another post.)

Let us know if this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]