FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Export to mpeg2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
Quicktime Export to mpeg2
on Nov 18, 2008 at 7:33:45 pm

Although Final Cut Studio 2 is installed on my computer, and hence I can export to mpeg2 using Compressor, I'd like the option to export to mpeg2 using Quicktime. However, mpeg2 isn't available in Quicktime's export options. On an older computer (which was here before I started working here) Quicktime does export to mpeg2. I've read that you have to purchase an mpeg2 encoder for Quicktime, but if it's included with Final Cut, do I really have to pay twice for an mpeg encoder?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Quicktime Export to mpeg2
on Nov 19, 2008 at 12:07:42 am

I'd like the option to export to mpeg2 using Quicktime

Why?

When you export to MPEG-2 using Quicktime you are using the same libraries as when you export to MPEG-2 using compressor, onlly you have far, far less control.

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Nov 19, 2008 at 12:53:20 am

In this case it's actually because the computer in question is suffering from the dreaded Compressor "unable to submit to queue" problem and I was hoping to just use Quicktime as a quick solution before trying to fix Compressor.

I think my question is still valid though, even if it's only an acedemic one. Note: Quicktime can't even play an mpeg2 file, let alone encode one. I still would have thought the mpeg2 encoder/decoder would automatically be added to Quicktime after installing FCP...it automatically adds Quicktime Pro functionality after all, why stop there?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 19, 2008 at 7:52:29 am

I'm fairly sure the MPEG-2 component is installed with FCS/Compressor

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 19, 2008 at 1:42:48 pm

Raven

If you you have an old version of DVD Studio Pro (v3 or earlier) then you can reinstall it, then do the upgrade shuffle back to the here and now ... that should leave you with the old Quicktime MPEG-2 export component.

Excepted from Apple's own knowledgebase article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2853

The first versions of DVD Studio Pro included a simple MPEG-2 encoder, which was enabled by QuickTime, and allowed you to export DVD-compliant MPEG-2 video directly from Final Cut Pro. The QuickTime MPEG-2 encoder was capable of creating good quality MPEG-2 video, and it was designed to do its job quickly.

Later versions of DVD Studio Pro introduced Compressor. Instead of relying on the QuickTime export functions ... Compressor offers numerous MPEG-2 creation options, and is capable of excellent quality output—far exceeding that provided by the QuickTime MPEG-2 encoder.

Because of the superior capabilities of Compressor, the QuickTime MPEG-2 encoder is superfluous and is not included with new installations of DVD Studio Pro 4 or Final Cut Studio. If you upgrade applications on a system that already has the QuickTime MPEG-2 encoder, the upgrade won't remove the encoder; it will still be available for applications that use QuickTime export options. With new installations, you can still export directly from Final Cut Pro to get MPEG-2 output, but you should choose Compressor instead of QuickTime as the export option.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Nov 19, 2008 at 3:24:37 pm

The answer explained clearly by Andy (and apple.com). Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 22, 2008 at 2:10:28 am

Hey, not fair. I was going to give the same answer.

That's my trick.

Do a search.

Honest.

Points?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Ed Denton
on May 10, 2009 at 4:25:18 pm

This is a question that has been bugging me for ages? Why do you have to pay extra to have the option of exporting MPEG-2 from quicktime? What's so special about MPEG-2 that it comes as an optional extra and they can't have it as a standard export option like MPEG-4, AVI, DivX, H.264 etc? Is there some special copyright on MPEG-2 or something and you have you buy the rights to use it or something?

And as for a reason why you might need to export to MPEG-2 from Quicktime instead of Final Cut Pro/Compressor... what if you don't have Final Cut Pro???

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 10, 2009 at 11:34:16 pm

[Ed Denton] "Why do you have to pay extra to have the option of exporting MPEG-2 from quicktime?"

Because Apple has to pay a license fee. You get the MPEG-2 license fee bundled with compressor or DVDSP, but if you want it as an add on for the free Quicktime, you'll have to pay for it.

http://www.mpegla.com/m2/m2-agreement.cfm

DivX is not a standard export option from Quicktime, you can download a free export plug-in but it's crippled, if you want all the features you have to pay.

You won't find any kind of MPEG-2 support built-in to Windows. At least on a Mac you can play back DVD movies without 3rd party software.

Anyhow, you really don't want to be encoding to MPEG-2 using Quicktime, you really need a proper encoding application to do it if you want it to look its best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]