FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT compression settings for HDV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Robbin
QT compression settings for HDV
on Nov 12, 2008 at 7:40:58 pm

I am doing some compression tests in FCP. My original material is HDV (from Sony PMW). I want to compress the test edit to a QT movie.

In the QT Compression settings window, there is a compressor section with 2 choices you can check. You can check nothing. Or you can select "Interlaced" or check "Enable 4:4:4 chroma filtering." Is there a right choice?

In this situation, I'm interested in making a fairly high quality QT movie which can then be turned into a flash file.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: QT compression settings for HDV
on Nov 13, 2008 at 12:14:18 am

Have you shot interlaced 1080i or progressive 720p?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Robbin
on Nov 13, 2008 at 12:22:32 am

I shot HDV 1080i 60 fr

LR

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 13, 2008 at 12:45:36 am

So your ideal workflow is from 1080 60i to FLV directly, deinterlacing before transcoding and in most cases avoiding any intermediate steps as you've suggested you might try.

Applications for transcoding to Flash and deinterlacing include Apple compressor and Episode.

Is there any reason why you want to test edit to a QT movie first? What QT codec where you thinking of using as an intermediate?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Robbin
on Nov 13, 2008 at 1:31:43 am

The client asked for swf files of the finished project. I did a little research on flash files - something I've not worked with before - and, looking at the complexity involved (flv files, swf files, embedding), it seemed to make sense for me to hand off that part of the job so I can focus on the part that I know... so to answer why I'm I doing a qt test movie... so that my friend can see if there are any compression issues (to making swf files) while I keep my focus on the producing, directing, videotaping and editing.

The intermediate codec I'm using is Apple ProRes HQ.

Thanks for the reply.

LR

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 13, 2008 at 7:47:54 am

Ok, in which case enable Interlaced and don't bother with 4:4:4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]