FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avi Quality Control

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bandy
Avi Quality Control
on Nov 12, 2008 at 7:09:50 pm

I have been creating Uncompressed AVIs for older projects and was trying to QC one of the files in Windows Media Player. I could hear the audio playing but no video. The player said that it didn't have the correct codec to play the AVI. This was one of the smaller AVIs at about 20GB. Is this just be too big for the player to handle or do I just need to download a codec for Media Player?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Avi Quality Control
on Nov 13, 2008 at 12:20:21 am

"The player said that it didn't have the correct codec to play the AVI"

Like the error message says; I'd suggest the PC doesn't have access to the codec you compressed the clips with! (yes, 'uncompressed' still needed a codec)

How/What/where did you compress these clips with?

Why uncompressed? It may not be the file size the player has a problem with but rather the huge datarate of uncompressed video.

Choosing uncompressed is rarely the right choice, unless you are a high-end production house.

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:49:46 am

I compressed the clip in adobe premiere cs3. I'm currently backing up a bunch of old projects and putting them to uncompressed avi. I'm doing them uncompressed so that I don't lose any quality.

I'm using an SDI cable to play the videos off an old editing system and capture them in adobe premiere cs3. Since the older editing system uses proprietary software I won't be able to import the projects into premiere. In order to save all the projects with as little loss in quality as possible I'm creating Uncompressed AVIs to archive.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:49:51 am

FI you are playing the clips back on the same system that has CS3 on then it's likely the player has a problem with the huge datarate of uncompressed video. Have you tried taking the clips back in to CS3?

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Nov 21, 2008 at 9:29:40 pm

Yes, I can import and watch/ QC the clips in Adobe Premiere just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]