FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressing 720x110 video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea Mino
compressing 720x110 video
on Nov 6, 2008 at 5:14:08 pm

Hi all,

i have a quick question about compression. I have a video with a resolution of 720x110, it's about 8 sec 52mb, that needs compressing for emailing. I've been told that compressing with mpg1 it's safe for watching in any system, pc or mac, if there's no quicktime in the machines, but with mpg1 i can't change the resolution, it's all set for 354x240. Which other codec in compressor can i use that can be watched in any platform?

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: compressing 720x110 video
on Nov 7, 2008 at 2:53:30 am

Well, you could use WMV with many Macs now supporting WMV with add ons. Possibly MP4? Not sure...can WMV on a PC playback MP4 movies?

You're right about MPEG 1...some limitations in frame sizes.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: compressing 720x110 video
on Nov 8, 2008 at 12:53:16 am

Actually MPEG-1 allows for any frame size up to 4096x4096, its just that most encoding packages limit you to those constrained parameters like frame size and pixel aspect ratio. The only reason for this is to get over limitations with Windows Media Prayer. Quicktime has no problem playing back any sized MPEG-1 file.

Yet another occasion where Windows ruins it for the rest of us.

If you want to encode to 'odd' sized MPEG-1 frames, cleaner from Autodesk will do the job for you.

Otherwise, as Rich pointed out look at WMV or indeed Flash, both can be better quality than MPEG-1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]