FORUMS: list search recent posts

Refresh error on the color red when converting to MPEG-2 in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Swaynos
Refresh error on the color red when converting to MPEG-2 in Compressor
on Nov 6, 2008 at 3:36:28 pm

Here's the problem: I'm converting to MPEG-2 and while spot checking the export I realized there was one shot (basic motion on a photo) where it seems that the red in the image isn't refreshing at the same rate as the rest of the image. The red portions seem drag behind...

I've exported this project a few times before for reference and never had this problem, and now we're trying to do the final export... We recently had the film color corrected, I don't know if that could be an issue.

Anyway here are my specs:
Footage shot HDV 60i, upconverted to ProRes HQ 422, Sequence is 29.97

Exporting to an FCP reference file and then converting that to an SD .m2v in compressor.

I've tried both 2-pass VBR and CBR and gotten the same results, and don't see the error in the reference file.

All the photos were "baked" before being sent through Color.

FCP 6.0.4
Compressor 3.0.3

Thanks,

Don

Return to posts index

Don Swaynos
Re: Refresh error on the color red when converting to MPEG-2 in Compressor
on Nov 7, 2008 at 12:10:22 am

Just to update. I've tried exporting an actual quicktime file of my sequence, then converting that- and I got the same results.

I also tried exporting directly from the FCP sequence through Compressor and, again, got the same results...

Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Keith Troester
Re: Refresh error on the color red when converting to MPEG-2 in Compressor
on Nov 18, 2008 at 1:45:35 am

I've certainly seen red lag in Studio Pro, but only in the preview/simulating in DVD Player. Red, in general, is an awful color to use in video--looks good in print, but not in video, especially when it's saturated. And because it already is such a high-visibility color, shifts are exaggerated.

Are you seeing these red shifts even when it's on a DVD? Reducing the saturation of the red, if that's relevant/possible, could reduce the lag, but it's hard to say.

When I had this red issue before, I realized that it looked fine once on a DVD, and I was looking at it on a TV. Have you tried multiple TVs/monitors/DVD players?

-Keith

My Weekly Comic for TV Techs: http://fpscomic.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]