FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinema Craft Encoder Settings

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Vaillancourt
Cinema Craft Encoder Settings
on Nov 5, 2008 at 5:43:25 pm

Hi there, I just purchased Cinema Craft Encoder and was wondering if anyone with experience can tell me what the best file format/compression is to put through the compressor and also what are the best settings in the compressor itself.

I currently have both a DVCPRO HD sequence and a ProRes HQ sequence that are yielding okay results.

Should I down res to SD first and interlace the file? I have After Effects as well and have run several tests using different interlace and progressive methods and various different compressions and frame sizes, I still can't seem to get it to that 'Hollywood perfect' compression that the product touts.

When I use the Animation compressor it darkens the footage and I lose all the details in my blacks, when I go from ProRes or DVCPRO HD it seems to wash out the footage slightly. Basically I've rendered out my footage in widescreen uncompressed and want my resulting MPG2 to look as close to that as possible.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Justin

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Cinema Craft Encoder Settings
on Nov 5, 2008 at 8:20:09 pm

The Cinemacraft technology is capable of producing excellent, professional quality results, however as with any professional level product it requires that all the settings are understood in depth and how the adjustment of parameters effects the final output.

Although Cinemacraft may claim 'Hollywood perfect'output, that assumes you have 'Hollywood quality' input, DVCPRO HD ain't anywhere near 'Hollywood quality' i.e Film or something like RED. That said it should still give you great quality results.

It's nearly always best to give an encoder the high quality source file, that does not mean an up-converted file like you get if you convert DVCPRO HD to Uncompressed, or Animation. By all means convert between LongGOP and I-Frame only to ease the workload the transcoder needs to do, but don't expect higher quality results from that conversion.

Its also very very rarely necessary to interlace progressive footage. If your source has been shot or has been created as progressive, then it should be left like that and obviously no deinterlacing should be applied during the transcode.

Return to posts index

Adrian George
on Dec 31, 2008 at 12:49:41 pm

Hi there... Your explanation is very good. Yes indeed this program is rocketing as its quality for encoding is the best I ever saw.

Thou, I do have a question....
Does anyone of you know or have or can build a tutorial explaining step by step as for dummies :) the settings a newbie should do, as long as he or she never had the chance to play with this but other professional programs?

I thank you in advance for your response... and a Happy New Year to all of you!

If having any tutorial or may help me, please drop a line to keops712@yahoo.com or adrian MG@gmail.com Thank you!

Help nature to become wht it was! Fight against animal and flora cruelty! Show you are human too!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:20:46 am

try this
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/cinema_craft_encoder.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]