FORUMS: list search recent posts

What compression should I use for a DVD movie?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanley Flomin
What compression should I use for a DVD movie?
on Oct 28, 2008 at 8:18:05 pm

Hey guys, I've never actually done the compression for an advertisement before, always just handed it off....So I my nice giant 11gig non-compressed quicktime file that I'm supposed to put on a DVD. Its a standard 720x480. Any suggestions on what to compress it as, can I do it via quicktime pro? I could do it through after effects too but the quality seems a bit worse from there when compressing.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: What compression should I use for a DVD movie?
on Oct 28, 2008 at 8:25:30 pm

The DVD video standard requires that video is encoded using MPEG-2, that is, if you want it to play back on a DVD player. If you just want to put on a DVD data disc so computer can play it back you can use 'anything' you like.

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Oct 29, 2008 at 5:50:46 am

Are you mastering the DVD? The final mastering house might want the file in a native format for THEM to compress to MPEG2. You could output it to tape if you have access to an uncompressed format tape deck, or deliver it on an external hard drive.

Otherwise, if you have Final Cut Studio 1 or 2, you have Compressor, which has default presets for DVD, depending on size. Choose the smallest time setting, which will have the highest bit rate per second. You could also crank the bit rate up all the way as well.

Also, if you have FCS2, you might try to export a version in Apple Pro Res 422, it won't be as "perfect" as completely uncompressed Animation codec, but it might look decent and knock down the size enough to fit as a computer file on a dual layer data dvd (8.5GB, even though it says 9.4GB).

Good luck. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:01:18 am

thanks for the responses guys,

I'm not completely sure what you mean by mastering it but I am essentially doing it all on my own with no one else involved. I was looking for a mpeg2 compressor but either its labeled as something else or I don't have the encoder. Unfortunately, I don't have a mac so no FCP for me. I do have quicktime pro and the standard coders that after effects comes with. A few other random encoders but they're more for web compression like sorensen.

If i can't get mpeg2 compression due to the lack of having access to fcp or a mac, is there anything else that is good enough for a regular dvd player?

thanks again guys, much appreciated

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 29, 2008 at 8:21:58 am

Like I said, the DVD Video specification requires that video be encoded to MPEG-2, that said, there are plenty of DVD players that can play other types of video like Divx for example.

There are so many ways to encode to MPEG-2 and author to DVD on the PC it's bit of a mine field. On the Mac it's far, far simpler.

This my be a good start for you:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/mydvd/premier/overview.html

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
on Oct 29, 2008 at 2:45:51 pm

great, thanks a ton, this worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]