FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression 4 Projection Question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brodner
Compression 4 Projection Question
on Oct 21, 2008 at 3:23:27 pm

I need a bit of direction. I've entered a short film of mine into a "5 Minutes Of Fear" film festival in which entries are due no later than friday. The films will be projected onto a 4 foot by 6 foot (approximately) screen via a laptop. My film is finished but I have a couple of minor (hopefully) issues I need some direction on.

1. I'm working in HDV from a Sony FX1. However, I shot a sequence a month prior to even knowing about this festival. When I heard about the festival I was like, "Oh yeah, let's use what we already filmed and expand on it." So we went out and shot a whole second sequence, which is now a 5 minute piece. My problem now, is that I do not have any of the original project files from part one so I'm basically using a compressed MP4(1280x720) in my Final Cut time line. When I export this thing out it's essentially going to compress the first portion of the film down another generation while the second sequence will only be compressed once. Does this make sense?

2. I've heard I can stitch quicktime movies together? Would this be the way to go? Taking the first portion, (the compressed MP4), and simply stitching it to my compressed version of part 2? If this works I then have one more small problem....

3. I've added a music track to part one in an effort to blend the actions between part one and part two together seamlessly, which works great. But now, is there a way to take part one, stitch it to the compressed version of part two, and then take that music track(.aiff) and stitch it to the correct part in part one?? Does this make sense? Sorry so long winded

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compression 4 Projection Question
on Oct 21, 2008 at 7:00:55 pm

To avoid recompressing the 1st part it's fairly trivial to stitch the two parts together and add the audio parts in Quicktime pro, just don't expect to be able to perform anything too sophisticated even though it is considerably more powerful than most people give it credit for.

To ensure that both parts look the same, you'll need to compress the 2nd part to the same MP4 setting as you used for the first part.

All you need for editing it together is detailed here:

http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/QuickTime7_User_Guide.pdf

Return to posts index

Michael Brodner
on Oct 21, 2008 at 7:12:06 pm

Yes thank you, I DO in fact plan on compressing it the same way as the first one. my only gripe then...or should i say "concern," would be to be able to add an audio track to the existing "post-stitched" file.

Once stitched, is this going to require another compression? Or can I simply save out the file as is?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 21, 2008 at 7:32:31 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but did you even bother to look at the link?

If you had, your questions would have been answered in less time than it took to post your response above.

Return to posts index

Michael Brodner
on Oct 21, 2008 at 10:31:29 pm

Yea I did. I was at work when I responded so I couldnt really check it out to much at the time. im home now and actually just looking at it in detail now. I really appreciate the link. Thanks. I'll let u know how I made out!

Bones

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]