Compressor problem with HDV sequence

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvonimir Karakatic
Compressor problem with HDV sequence
on Oct 21, 2008 at 11:47:05 am

Hello,

I have weird problem with Compressor and it goes like this:

I have one HDV sequence and want to make DVD out of it. So I used Export -> Using Compressor. In Compressor I used standard "Best Quality 90 minutes" and it took about 4 hours to make m2v from 15 minutes long sequence, but that is not the problem - problem is that one clip from the sequence was not encoded! There is a flare effect in it, and that is the only clip that is missing in the m2v (I have totally black screen on that place instead of that clip).

What could be the issue about it? Is there something wrong with Compressor? The rest of the m2v looked pretty good, but if there is any other, better, way to get DVD out of HDV sequence - I would like to hear it.

Zvonimir

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor problem with HDV sequence
on Oct 21, 2008 at 1:46:26 pm

Did you absolutely, 100% totally make sure that effect was completely 100% totally and utterly rendered in FCP?

Return to posts index

Zvonimir Karakatic
on Oct 21, 2008 at 2:03:45 pm

Yes, effect is 100% rendered in Final Cut: I checked the sequence where it is and it was rendered there. Also the final sequence (made of two sequences - intro and one with film inside which is this clip) is also rendered.
Also, I can't remember did I mention this, but when I started my computer today I decided to try to export only that clip with few seconds before and after from the main sequence and it worked. Then immediatly I started to export the whole final sequence, but once again it didn't export that clip (again - all black on that place).

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 21, 2008 at 2:41:27 pm

Can you confirm that the clip is there if you export to a Quicktime Reference movie?

There is no reason why, or indeed how, compressor would simply miss out on one section in your whole clip.

Return to posts index

Zvonimir Karakatic
on Oct 21, 2008 at 4:08:35 pm

I did export film with ProRes 422 and everything went well, except one gradient was totally ruined. That is the reason why I still want to do the export using Compressor.

I also don't have any idea why it doesn't work, as it really doesn't make any sense.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 21, 2008 at 4:31:58 pm

except one gradient was totally ruined

What do you mean by that? - ProRes shouldn't ruin anything.

Return to posts index

Zvonimir Karakatic
on Oct 21, 2008 at 7:57:06 pm

I have a gradient (glow) that is around the Moon in one clip (made that in After Effects, 32-bit color rendered in Animation preset) and it looks pretty nice even in 8-bit. That gradient looks excellent when it goes out using Compressor, but it looks ruined in ProRes... can't explain exactly - it looks like a bit tap of white instead of Moon and glow around it.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 21, 2008 at 9:51:17 pm

ProRes is a very high quality Codec. You must have something set incorrectly for it to do that.

Return to posts index

Zvonimir Karakatic
on Oct 22, 2008 at 6:25:07 am

erm... that is also possible... can you please write correct workflow for export HDV (1080i50) in max quality? This is my first HDV, so there is a big possibility that I did something very wrong.

Zvonimir

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 22, 2008 at 6:56:49 am

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_timeline_to_sd_dvd.html

Return to posts index

Viktor Kibanov
on Dec 3, 2008 at 8:33:24 pm

I´m not a professional, but isn´t it a problem, that video is encoded as progressive? Will it have problems for playing DVD on TV? (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/hdv_timeline_to_sd_dvd.html)
I found the other way to get interlaced video with very acceptable quality for DVD SP:
The edited HDV footage is converted to DVCpro50 NTSC Anamorphic in Compressor and then converted to MPEG-2 6.2 Mbps 2-pass (without any change in both). The video stays interlaced.
I tried to do the same with Episode Pro (my friend is profy and has it in his studio, I don´t know the version, think it is 4), but it was almost equal (awful) to direct HDV-DVD encoding. We tried BitVice (old version - 1.2), the resulting video was good but dark (sure that it can be corrected). So Compressor was better for this kind of work.
Is there any other mode for encoding HDV to DVD with better quality?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Dec 3, 2008 at 10:54:15 pm

All TVs on sale in the western world are progressive (all flat panels are progressive). Most modern TVs/DVD players still in existence are capable of dealing with either interlaced or progressive signals. Remember that most Hollywood blockbuster movies on DVD are progressive only.

There are plenty of methods of going from HDV to SD DVD. Ken Stones method is good, google will provide you with lots of others to try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]