FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better codec than h264?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Better codec than h264?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 9:43:55 am

Hi Guys, someone on the After Effects forum said this would be the place to ask this question....?

Does anyone know of any good Quicktime codecs that would work well for video/mograph that will give me similar data size/rates as h264?

We have a giant multiscreen HD movie we want to run on simultaneous monitors off a RAID-0. We have used best quality h264 in the past and the data rate has been low enough for the drives to keep up with themselves and the image quality was good enough for what we needed it for at the time...

This new project requires a better image quality and also contains alot of red, which h264 makes a horrible mess off (turns everything pink!).

so I'm looking for something comparable that deals with reds better, but that I can get down to about 5-10,000kbps per 1280x720pixel QT movie.

Any ideas guys?

BTW - I've tried Sorenson, MJPEG and JPEG2000 and all looks rubbish or don't playback at 25fps - JPEG2000 looks great on stills but seems to skip 1-2 frames at a time to run it in realtime!? Anyone know what that's about?

All these questions...

AE7 Pro - Nucleo - Mocha v1.2.0 - PS CS3 - FCP 5.1.4
MacPro Quad 3GHz / ATI 1900XT / 8GB RAM / OSX 10.4.11
30" ACD / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe RAID
---------------------------------
Production Studio CS2 - Combustion 3 - Mocha v1.0.1
Win XP Pro 32 / Intel Core2Quad Q6600 / 2GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 320GB boot/800GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Better codec than h264?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:14:31 am

Have a look at the OneRiver CODEC resource site I keep mentioning on here:
http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/

Have you tried PhotoJPEG at over 75% quality?

Have you tried one of the Blackmagic codecs?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/

Have you tried Apple ProRes422?

Have you tried Apple Pixlet?

Let us know how you get on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]