FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor settings for streaming video online.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eduardo Araujo
Compressor settings for streaming video online.
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:54:08 pm

Hey Guys,
I am trying to compress some videos for a client to put on the internet. He want to stream them on his website. The video is in DVCPRO HD 720p60 and its about 5 minutes long.
Ideally he wanted the video to be no bigger than about 80 MB after compression. I'm using H.264 compression right now because i figured that would be the best solution but im having some problems with it right now. First the files are still coming out to big because he said he wanted the video to look really good. Another issue is that compressor is desaturating the crap out of the video and it comes out looking totally dead. What setting can i change in Compressor that would give me the best results.
Also. How the hell does apple get their demo and tutorial videos online to look so damn good while keep the files at about 45 MB. I want my stuff to look like that!
I'd really really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Eduardo

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor settings for streaming video online.
on Oct 9, 2008 at 7:20:07 am

Please detail the settings you are using:

Frame size
Frame Rate
Data Rate

Etc...

Return to posts index

Eduardo Araujo
on Oct 9, 2008 at 3:23:56 pm

Hey
Sorry i hadn't posted that already. I'm a bit new at some of this more technical stuff.

Here are the compressor settings Im currently using.

Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: (100% of source)
Height: (100% of source)
Selected: 960 x 720
Pixel aspect ratio: DVCPRO HD 720p (16:9)
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Selected: 59.94
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 24
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25

Brightness And Contrast
Brightness: 0.000
Contrast: 13.000

I tweaked the brightness/contrast to try to compensate for the horrible desaturation of the video, but it doesn't help much. As for data rate. Im not sure what to set it at. I could use some help with that too. The video needs to be streamed online.
I'm not using one of the presets in compressor made for web streaming though, I'm just using the normal H.264 compression. And to be honest I'm not really sure what to tweak to make this video look as good as possible. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Eduardo

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 9, 2008 at 3:46:20 pm

Ok - there's a lot of wrong settings there. (frame size, frame rate, no explicit data rate etc etc)

I suggest you start with one of the web presets.

It's also worth reading this:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor_h-264_movies_fcp.html

Return to posts index

Eduardo Araujo
on Oct 10, 2008 at 4:54:12 am

Oh man. That Ken Stone article worked absolute miracles for me! Exactly what i needed. I should have thought to go there myself for help. Thanks for the advice. I'm ecstatic to have the video looking this good at exactly the file size i want. Hope it streams well online. Here's the new settings for you guys to see the difference.

Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 720
Height: 405
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 15
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Best) High quality Motion Compensated
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Average data rate: 1.792 (Mbps)
Maximum data rate: 1.792 (Mbps)
Fast Start: on

One thing I'm still wondering though is why compressor desaturates my videos so much. I actually have it looking good by just bumping the saturation before i send it to compress. Does anyone know why this happens though and if there's any "logical" way to fix it.
Again. Thanks so much for all the help. You guys are great.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 10, 2008 at 6:54:10 am

Glad you are getting much better looking video but I'd suggest these changes to make it look even better:

Change you frame rate to 30, or 'Same as Source'
Frame size either 768 x 436 or 704 x 396 or 640 x 360 (you need dimension that are equally divisible by 16, 8 or 4)

Check out the other frame sizes here:
http://labs.influxis.com/?p=6

I also have a feeling you could drop your datarate by quiet a bit if you need to - it's pretty high!

No idea why it's getting desaturated, can you post a before and after screenshot somewhere?

Return to posts index

Eduardo Araujo
on Oct 11, 2008 at 6:59:07 pm

Great. With the frame rate up and the proper frame size the video looks even better. I set it to 30 fps and the screen size is at 768 x 436. As for the data rate, the file is still smaller than i needed it to be with the data rate that high. Should i lower it anyway to get faster streaming online? If so what do you think would be a good place to set it at?

Here are the pictures of the saturation problems i was telling you about. I really don't get it. Could it have something to do with the frame rate.

Before

After

I would really appreciate some help on this topic because otherwise ill just have to blast the saturation before hand and keep testing it until i get it right.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 11, 2008 at 7:55:14 pm

Frame size should be 768x432.
Frame rate has no effect on saturation. You should adjust saturation as part of the transcode process.
Lower the datarate until the picture starts to break up, then raise it slightly from there.
You should then have a perfect transcode.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 11, 2008 at 10:19:22 pm

I've just had another look at the two before and after images in a reference monitor. The 'after' image is certainly the better one of the two with far more natural skin tones and white balance. I don;t see any reason to adjust the saturation back to the Before image with to me looks overly saturated and an odd colour cast.

Return to posts index

Eduardo Araujo
on Oct 12, 2008 at 2:33:21 am

Right. Agreed. I actually just had those pictures set up like that to show just how dramatic the change was after compression. I had already pumped the saturation to compensate right there.

Think the data rate might be fixing the problem though. Thanks

Eduardo

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Oct 9, 2008 at 9:49:41 pm

You definitely don't need your frame higher than 30FPS, and the resolution is also too big to get any kind of reasonable file size out of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]