FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pre-loaders

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chet wesley
Pre-loaders
on Oct 8, 2008 at 8:40:34 pm

Hi,
I am trying to compress some video for iTunes U for a college I work for. I notice that when I look at other universities' iTunes U content, it begins playing shortly after you double click the file (even if it is a long video), whereas our content downloads the whole file before playing.

I have the adobe production suite CS2 and various freeware applications for OSX for video compression.

I know that final cut has an option when you export to quicktime to prepare it for internet play back (I can't remember how they refer to it and don't have it installed here to check). Would that solve my problem?

Is there an option to do preloading within any of the software in the adobe production suite? I don't see it anywhere in the compression options in premiere or after effects, but maybe it is referred to in some way I am not familiar with.

Is there a different software you would suggest? We need to do MP4 encoding that is iPod and iTunes U compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Pre-loaders
on Oct 8, 2008 at 10:42:51 pm

It's called 'Fast Start'

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/qttutorial/faststart.html

Although you really ought to have a dedicated transcoding application you can turn any Quicktime movie into a Fast start movie with Quicktime Pro or QuickTime conversion in FCP.

http://www.infinite-eye.com/distractions_quicktime.php

Return to posts index

chet wesley
on Oct 8, 2008 at 11:57:56 pm

Is it the same thing that adobe refers to as "video hinter track" in their media encoder?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 9, 2008 at 6:57:38 am

I very much doubt it:

Hint tracks are used by Streaming servers:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/hinttracks.html

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Oct 9, 2008 at 9:44:21 pm

Can you or anyone else recommend a video compression application that can do ipod compatible quicktime, batch processing, and fast start?

We can't afford to buy the whole final cut suite just for compressor. I am wondering if there are less expensive options. I have other apps that work fine otherwise, just lack the fast start/progressive download feature.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 9, 2008 at 9:59:04 pm

Episode is the best application for this sort of work on the Mac but if you're prepared to spend the time with Automator and Quicktime pro you can automate the whole process for much less outlay (or indeed free if you already have QTPro.

Other apps you could look at include ffMPEGx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]