FORUMS: list search recent posts

11 minute motion video compresses to 24gig??!!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Jones
11 minute motion video compresses to 24gig??!!!
on Oct 7, 2008 at 4:56:26 pm

Hi, really need some help here.
I've created a very basic 11 min motion video which contains a couple of video files, one at 95mb, the other 270mb. My .motn file is around 300k.
I need the movie to play on a 42"plasma 1280x768. I need the file to be small enough to fit onto a DVD?
What compression rate should I use to accomplish this?
project properties=
1280x720
16bit depth
NTSC D!/DV Anamorphic 1.20
frame rate 29.97

please help!!

thanks, Alex.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: 11 minute motion video compresses to 24gig??!!!
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33:19 pm

How are you playing this back - from a DVD player or from a PC?

Return to posts index

Alex Jones
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:40:41 pm

I'm planning on delivering via DVD, then they will probably play them off of laptops connected to Plasma screens.
The motion file is so simple and basic, just a couple of fly through transitions to each stage which contain the actual video.

Should i place the .motn into FCP and compress from there?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 7, 2008 at 10:01:09 pm

Alex,

We sort of covered this a bit before in your last post but.... - Without knowing the spec of the computers playing this stuff back it's difficult to say what to use, if it's only 11 minutes long you have the luxury of using a high data rate and frame size and it'll still fit on a 4.7GB DVD (Not sure where '24gig' comes from?)

You also seem to have rather confused project settings:
1280x720
16bit depth
NTSC D!/DV Anamorphic 1.20
frame rate 29.97

The above settings don't make sense.

What standard/resolution is the 'actual video'? - is it that you are using NTSC 4:3 video in a 1280x720 Motion project, or......?

Return to posts index

Alex Jones
on Oct 8, 2008 at 4:45:21 pm

yes, I'm using standard 4:3 and also some 16:9 video footage in the motion project.
The final output needs to be viewed on a generic 42" plasma at a tradeshow. So I'm looking to get the cleanest text and smoothest video I can without getting a crazy size. I re-compressor'ed the motion file yesterday in MPEG-2 and it came out at around 480MBs, a lot better!

What settings would you suggest for the best output on this kind of project (motion + compressor)?
Thanks again for your time, really helping me out and having me actually enjoy this experience!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:05:09 pm

You're not really helping me to help you. What sort of computers will be playing this video back?

Return to posts index

Alex Jones
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:42:56 pm

Sorry Dan, pretty new to all this.

Okay, 2 options for playback:

- IBM Thinkpad T60's (using the DVD player) connected to 42" HD plasma's
or
- DVD players connected to 42" HD Plasma's

So either way, they should be playing via a DVD player?
I managed to get the project onto a DVD and play it on a 42" plasma this morning, played fine but letterboxed? I need it to stay full screen?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:50:53 pm

Right then Al,

If you played it back directly from the T60 hard drive you could potentially encode to an HD file at 1280x720, however if you restrict yourself to DVD playback then you can it can only be at a maximum of 720x480 (16:9).

Assuming you go down the DVD route with compressor, simply choose on of the '90 minute 16:9 (Widescreen)' presets and that should get round rid of the letterboxing.

Return to posts index

Alex Jones
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:59:18 pm

Awesome, so simple!

Thanks again for all your help! I'll render the file out tonight and see what i get.
I was using the anamorphic setting as I been told to use it in one of the Adobe classes I took? completely wrong?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 8, 2008 at 7:15:30 pm

No, 720x480 16:9 is anamorphic. There's loads in the compressor manual about anamorphic encoding. I'd totally recommend reading it.

Return to posts index

Alex Jones
on Oct 8, 2008 at 8:21:05 pm

cool. thanks again for the help, much appreciated. Gonna go have a good read of that manual while i'm rendering my test movie. thanks again. A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]