FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding Video Export To Quicktime Anxiety

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter dunphy
Wedding Video Export To Quicktime Anxiety
on Oct 3, 2008 at 5:36:23 pm

Hi Guys

Have read lots of posts about exporting but I'm a bit confused to be honest.

I shot a wedding video with the XH-A1 1080i HDV and edited it in Final Cut Pro. However in Final Cut I used the Compressor to change the HDV footage to DVCPRO 1080i because I also had some DV PAL footage I needed to include also...so everything was converted to DVCPRO 1080i to enable multiclip editing.

Now, what would you recommend I do to export my movie into Quicktime...to then be imported into DVD Studio Pro for burning?

At the moment I've selected the standard 'Export to Quicktime' option and I chose DVCPRO 1080i as my compressor setting. Is this the right thing to do for best quality possible do you think? It is taking 8 hours to export the 1 hour video so I'm thinking that it must be a pretty high quality export method!

Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong - my first wedding video and would love it to look great on my uncle's (the groom) television set.

EDIT: My delivery format is SD by the way.

Any suggestions truly appreciated.

Peter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel Low
Re: Wedding Video Export To Quicktime Anxiety
on Oct 3, 2008 at 6:23:08 pm

Export from FCP 'using current settings' - don't re-render.

Open compressor and drag and drop the file into it.

Apply an SD DVD preset that matches the length of the video in total minutes, best quality.

Use the ac3 audio.

Author with the resulting m2v and ac3 files in DVD SP.

If you want more details there have been 100000s of posts here that'll help you dig deeper.

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Oct 3, 2008 at 6:35:46 pm

thanks Daniel much appreciated

peter

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Oct 3, 2008 at 6:59:18 pm

"Export from FCP 'using current settings' - don't re-render. "

When you say don't re-render, by me not choosing 'using current settings' and instead selecting DVCPRO 1080i does that mean it renders afresh? So, if I choose 'using current settings' it won't render afresh and the time taken to export to Quicktime will be lessened?

Thanks again for your helpful advice, helps make things a bit clearer for me.

Peter

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel Low
on Oct 3, 2008 at 10:08:25 pm

Correct - not choosing 'current settings' and then even choosing the same setting as your project are set to will cause it to be totally and unnecessarily re-rendered.

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Oct 4, 2008 at 12:09:07 am

Thanks Daniel

Have tried a couple of times now exporting to Quicktime (It's a one hour HD DVCPRO1050i wedding video) but keep getting the ERROR: Out of disk space message. I've honestly tried searching for 'ERROR: Out of disk space' but haven't found a decent solution. I suppose I'm getting the error because I'm out of disc space, but is there any way I can check my project's size prior to exporting, so I'll know how much disc space I need for the quicktime file please?

Currently I have 228 GB on my external drive onto which I'm trying to creative my quicktime file - I would have thought that would be plenty of space don't you think? Pretty puzzled here :o)

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Oct 4, 2008 at 9:10:48 am

Think I figured it out!

it worked once I adjusted in and out points on the timeline!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 4, 2008 at 11:33:43 am

When you come to do the export in future, uncheck the box that says 'Make Movie Self-Contained' this will simply created a reference movie, that's much quicker to export and saves on disk space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]