FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio problem with flash encode

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Huber
Audio problem with flash encode
on Oct 2, 2008 at 6:04:15 pm

I'm encoding from self-contained video files exported from Final Cut Pro and brought into Cleaner 6.5.1 on a Mac. There is a distinct lisping most easily heard on s's on the encoded flash files that is not on the source files. I'm using a modified preset (Flix FLV 512k). The audio problem occurred using the preset. I modified the preset trying to improve the audio. The modified audio codec is mp3 set at 44.1 khz, 16 bit, stereo. Can I adjust default settings on the other available controls (Low Pass, High Pass, Noise Removal, Dynamic Range, Noise Gate, Notch or Reverb) to try to solve this problem? Or is there another way to improve my audio in the flash file. Thanks for any input,

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Audio problem with flash encode
on Oct 2, 2008 at 7:14:08 pm

What's the audio data-rate set at? Often, a low data-rate (meaning more compression) will have that effect on audio. Try a higher data-rate and see if it helps.
Ed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 2, 2008 at 9:41:31 pm

I'd say your problem probably lies with cleaner. Although it remains one of my all time 'classic applications' it hasn't been usefully updated in years. The last good version was released in 2000, discreet/autodesk slowly destroyed it after that.

Ed may have a point though, so it's worth checking that before trashing cleaner totally!

Return to posts index

Dan Huber
on Oct 3, 2008 at 3:37:33 pm

Thanks for you help. The higher audio data rate (192) did solve the problem. I'm stuck using Cleaner at present but intend to upgrade since, like most producers, almost everything I do winds up on someone's website. I gather from other posts that Episode is the way to go for Mac users? I've been wondering how and why the output from an encoder like Episode would be better than exporting directly to flash from an application like After Effects, Premiere or Final Cut? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:06:41 pm

Glad you got the problem sorted, Ed is usually right, however 192Kb/s is really rather excessively high, I never get issues with stuff even as low as 64Kb/s so it could still be an issue with cleaner.

Episode it the one to upgrade to.

AE is a compositor and effects Application
Premiere & FCP are non-linear editors with lots of other stuff included.

All the above can export to other video formats and include 'some' tools to improve the output (especially Premiere).

However Episode (and Cleaner) is a dedicated transcoding application and includes tools/filters and so on that non of the above have.

So although you can get a fairly decent looking output from the other applications, if want the best and want to perform stuff in batches etc, then you'd use a dedicated transcoder.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:26:03 pm

I'm usually more like the monkey throwing darts at the dartboard, sometimes I score. :-)
192Kb *is* high. I commonly use 48-64Kb to get pretty decent web audio. MP3 isn't as good as AAC or even WMA9, but having to go that high for audio takes away some data rate that could be put to use for good looking video.
Ed

[Daniel Low] "Glad you got the problem sorted, Ed is usually right, however 192Kb/s is really rather excessively high, I never get issues with stuff even as low as 64Kb/s so it could still be an issue with cleaner.
"

Return to posts index

Dan Huber
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:55:30 pm

I would go back and redo the clips at a less excessive data rate but my client is happy and I don't want to revisit the trial and error process I've gone through over the last few days. In the past, I've avoided wrapping my brain around the variables of encoding by sticking to the presets. But I think I'm going to have to place a higher priority on understanding what's going on. I can visualize my client's eye's rolling to the backs of their heads as I mention data rates, sampling sizes or audio codecs as the reasons I can't get their videos to work - better to keep the sausage making behind the curtain. Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]