FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chapter markers display in Compressor preview window but not in compressed Quicktime

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Donnelly
Chapter markers display in Compressor preview window but not in compressed Quicktime
on Oct 1, 2008 at 6:22:25 pm

Hi all:

Sorry, some Final Cut references here to put my compression prob in context...

I am exporting a self-contained movie using setting "Show DVD Studio Pro Markers" - the sequence and of course the exported file are ProRes codec.

When I open the QT outside of FCP, all the chapter markers are there in Quicktime viewer window (lower right, popup that allows me to jump to points in the movie)

Next I import to Compressor - All the markers (edit point markers as well as chapter markers that I have set...) DO show up in the Compressor preview window. All looks good...

I encode an h264 QT from compressor - but in the encoded QT, there are NO chapter markers present!

I attempted a workaround of extracting the text track from the original exported QT and "Adding to movie" of the h264 QT using quicktime. Then I turn off the text track but keep on the popup that says Chapters > Text Track under "Other Settings" in the properties window of the h264 QT. The chapters are then visible in the lower right of the viewer window. BUT - when I close the movie and "save" then re-open, they are gone...argh!

It has to be user-error, but I feel like I've covered all bases and searched this forum for similar problems, but still in the dark.

Help!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Chapter markers display in Compressor preview window but not in compressed Quicktime
on Oct 1, 2008 at 7:12:36 pm

Are you using compressor 3?

Have a look at step 8:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html

Return to posts index

Tom Donnelly
Re: Chapter markers display in Compressor preview window but not in compressed Quicktime
on Oct 1, 2008 at 7:28:30 pm

Thanks, that is super-helpful.

I also found that I had not been setting each FCP marker to be a "chapter marker" in the marker dialog box (hit "m" twice). Once I did this everything worked smoothly even when batching with compressor...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:35:54 pm

[Tom Donnelly] "I attempted a workaround of extracting the text track from the original exported QT and "Adding to movie" of the h264 QT using quicktime. Then I turn off the text track but keep on the popup that says Chapters > Text Track under "Other Settings" in the properties window of the h264 QT. The chapters are then visible in the lower right of the viewer window. BUT - when I close the movie and "save" then re-open, they are gone...argh!"

The markers don't flow through using Matrox's MAX.
The workaround mentioned above and referring to Step 8 below doesn't work. A couple of times I got it to take the track but as mentioned above the markers didn't show when re-opening the movie.

Is there anyway to get the markers to show up when you open the movie?

QT 7.6.4
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]