FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Format and Size for the Web?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Tarry
Best Format and Size for the Web?
on Sep 27, 2008 at 9:39:17 pm

Hello, I bought Procoder 3 with Web Video in mind, among other things, not realizing that it uses the older Flash codec. I'd like to hear your thoughts on video formats for the web and how to get the best web video from Encoder 3.
Thanks - Raymond

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Best Format and Size for the Web?
on Sep 27, 2008 at 10:31:29 pm

I would say that you might do a little research. You bought ProCoder3 apparently thinking it would do ON2VP6, but without checking first. Now's your chance to do some research. Do a search of this forum and the Web Streaming forum and you'll find a ton of suggestions as to which formats, sizes, and data rates work well in different situations on the web. As for tips on ProCoder, I haven't used it since going all-Mac, but just like the Mac apps I use now, it comes down to trial and error. Use the presets first, then tweak the size, gamma, data rate, etc. based on your audience and the specific video you're encoding to get something that looks best to you. Others may have more ProCoder-specific advice. One specific tip: multiples of 16 are best to encode to. Here's an Adobe chart (it's for Flash, but it's the same advice for other codecs)
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator/video_sizes.h...
Ed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 28, 2008 at 1:01:03 pm

It's odd that it only ships with Flash V7 support, I use its big brother, Carbon Coder and that ships with the latest version.

Anyhow I'm sure it will come as an update soon. You need to hassle Canopus.

Ed is right, the presets in Procoder are a great starting point, if you find those intimidating then use the Wizard application. If after using either of those you think your videos don't look as good as others out there on the web, well thats because those people have likely spent time learning and tweaking the various settings to make them more suitable for their particular footage. It'll take time, but you'll need to do the same if you want the best quality. We've all been there and done that!

Return to posts index

Raymond Tarry
on Sep 28, 2008 at 4:54:22 pm

Thanks Ed and Daniel. My main interest in Flash is it's reputation for being easy to use by all viewers. But like you said, I need to experiment with several formats and see what looks best. Thanks for your input, much appreciated - Raymond

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 30, 2008 at 2:38:51 pm

And just to complicate things a little more for you. :-)
Flash has supported H.264 since (I think) last January or so. There's always an amount of time
before Flash users update their players to take advantage of the latest supported codecs, but it's getting pretty close for the H.264 video in Flash. Do a search for H.264 Flash in this and the Web Streaming Forum (and elsewhere) and you'll find a bunch of useful info on it. There have been some growing pains with it playing well in Flash, but it's getting there. I only mention it because you can compress to H.264 (instead of the other high quality Flash codec ON2VP6) right now with the tools you have. Only you can decide if it's ready for your audience to view (so called market penetration). If they're a "I install every update" kind of audience, or you're willing to ask them to do it if they haven't yet, it could be your solution.
Ed

Return to posts index

Raymond Tarry
on Oct 1, 2008 at 12:36:25 am

Thanks Ed. Just hanging out on these forums makes me do more research and try to "up my tech game". There's a lot I don't understand about Flash and the other formats, but it's coming.
Thanks again - Raymond

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]