FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animation Codec to NTSC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Tetamore
Animation Codec to NTSC
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:36:00 am

I'm editing a sequence that includes animation from another company. As requested they sent them as QT Animation No Compression 720x480 Lower Fields. The files play fine in QT Player.

However, when I use them in my Motion 3 sequence the result is a slight stuttering motion. In Motion my project settings are the default NTSC 8Bit Uncompressed settings 720x480 Low fields. So everything should match up fine.

I also tried to format the animations to an Apple Pro Res 10 Bit codec thinking I'd get better results. But when I play back the Pro Res version again you get this very subtle stuttering motion. To be clear, the footage is 3D camera movements through the interiors of various rooms.

Can anyone suggest a workflow or explain why I'm having this issue? The end result is the mastered DVDs have spots in the animation sequences where there is noticeable stuttering. The rest of the video that I've created looks perfect.

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Animation Codec to NTSC
on Sep 18, 2008 at 7:11:49 am

Are you sure the animation clip they sent you is interlaced? Can you see the fields if you step through it frame by frame?

Have you checked that both frame rates are the same (29.97fps rather than 30?)

Return to posts index

Brian Tetamore
Re: Animation Codec to NTSC
on Sep 18, 2008 at 2:32:08 pm

yes, good question. I asked the production company to format ntsc and lower fields. And the info in Quicktime player says 29.97 fps, and in Final Cut "Info" says it's lower field. However, I don't see fields. And when I import the original file into Compressor the Info pane says it's progressive frames.

My assumption is that it is not interlaced.

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]