FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple output types - new to me!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SaraAnn
Multiple output types - new to me!!
on Sep 17, 2008 at 1:30:16 am

Hi there,

I hope I've posted this in the appropriate place!

I edit in FCP 6 and do mostly 15 min/30min/hour-long broadcast/DVD output. When I have done web output it's been H.264 .mov files through Compressor.

I have someone who wants these types of files output for the web (movies that are 30 second max in length) in addition to a .mov file:
.gif
.jpg
.swf
Windows Media 9

I've been doing some research on these 4 file types and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on a program that can handle all of them. I've read about Visual Hub, On2 Flix File Exporter, Gifbuilder, Telestream Episode, Turbine Video Encoder, Flip4Mac. Wow. I really wish Compressor could just handle it all! I didn't see that any of those programs would support all of these conversions. Am I going to have to go with a combo? For the .jpg - is that something that QT can do or are they referring to something else entirely?

Thanks for any help and hope this isn't too elementary - I'm new to these file types!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Multiple output types - new to me!!
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:49:06 am

Episode with the Flash add-on will do all of them except animated GIF, I think After Effects can do that, not sure. I've not been asked for it in over 10 years, Flash has replaced it.

Return to posts index

Sara Shier
on Sep 17, 2008 at 4:00:13 pm

Thank you!

I'm downloading the trial version of Episode just to get a feel for it. Hopefully the interface is nice and this will solve my issue.

I thought .gif was a little strange too but I just found out that I can provide them a .jpg instead of .gif if I want to.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Sara Shier
on Sep 17, 2008 at 5:07:24 pm

Well, now I have a question about the .jpg extension. Isn't that a still image format? That's the only way I've ever seen it.

Do they mean motion jpg perhaps? Or can .jpg be a video format?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:49:19 pm

There are three jpg video codecs, PhotoJPEG, MotionJPEG A and MotionJPEG B.

PhotoJPEG is commonly used.

Return to posts index

Sara Shier
on Sep 17, 2008 at 7:54:16 pm

Interesting. I learned something new.

Thanks so much! You've been most helpful!

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:17:05 pm

Is it possible they want gifs and jpegs of stills from the movie? It's common to use gifs for images that aren't video or photos and jpegs for photos as thumbnails and links to video.
Ed

Return to posts index

Sara Shier
on Sep 17, 2008 at 11:03:02 pm

Hmm. I suppose that's a possibility but I'm almost positive they mean to use the .gif or .jpg as the video file. The reason I think that is because the videos are going to multiple websites and one of the websites requires either a .gif or a .jpg of the movie. They can't take other file types.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Oct 1, 2008 at 5:24:55 am

Those extentions are still shots. Maybe they want them for a pic to click on that is linked to the video. Hope this helps. Danny Hays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]