FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MOV to multimedia hard drive

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mosquera Keith
.MOV to multimedia hard drive
on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:15:05 pm

Hello all, my problem is i have 300gb of .mov footage i need to visualize on a multimedia hard drive with the best posible quality,i have tried multiple formats: divx from final cut and from divx converter, mp4, avi,mv2...but so far the best results i got where from visualhubs mpg, the quality is fine but not great, i need a hand here!!thank you

p.s: i work on a MAC (powerpc)

Saludos David Mosquera Keith.
Drjob creative center
video editor 3d designer

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: .MOV to multimedia hard drive
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:35:39 pm

Could you please explain what you mean by "to visualize on a multimedia hard drive"?

What CODECs have been used for the .MOVs?

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Sep 11, 2008 at 7:27:14 am

hello daniel thanks for answering, what i mean with visualize on a multimedia hard drive is a have an usb external hard drive, that is capable to reproduce video on a normal tv set,the problem is that it only plays a few format: mpg , divx , avi..but not .mov, but when i recompress these files (.mov) to another format mpg avi...they either dont have enough quality or they play slugish, the source .mov files are in dvpal codec,can this be the problem?

thanks in advance..dave.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2008 at 12:06:30 pm

To you have a link to or access to the exact specifications to this drive?

If it accepts a wide range of AVIs it maybe possible to simply convert your DV.movs to DV.AVI without the need to transcode and therefore without loosing any quality.

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:50:34 pm

hi daniel, here is the link to the page where the pdf specs are,anyway i tried doing an avi in dvpal in final cut and it doesnt work the file went up to 450mgs for 2 minutes and didnt reproduce in the usb external drive...

Ive tried converting the video with xilisoft video converter and it simply shutsdown, ive tried lots of configs with visualhub and the only ones that seem to do the job is the mpeg preset that looks ok but when theres a quick movement it jitters a little but cant seem to be able to fix it...ive also tried loads of presets with ffmpegx but the ones that look good dont reproduce in the usb drive and the presets that do dont look good enough(blocky video overall and very blocky in water images)

i have tried loads of ways but cant seem to get the right config...

thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:54:40 pm

David,

You didn't provide the link.

You can't produce a DV.avi from FCP.

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:06:06 pm

ups!sorry about the link here it is:

http://www.danedigital.com/4-Disques-Durs-externes/5-so-speaky.html

What i did is went to (in final cut) file/export/using quicktime conversion/

then in format i choose AVI

i go into its otions and under compression type i put dv-pal and exported it that way, maybe i misunderstud what u ment...

could it have something to do with me being on a mac trying to compress to divx or avi?anyways if you have any suggestion it will be very well received.

thanks in advance daniel!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:15:42 pm

AS you've got FCP. I'll assume you've got compressor.

Use compressor to transcode your DV files to MPEG-2. Encode the audio to AC3.

DivX or Xvid are capable of being quite close to the quality of MPEG-2 at a much smaller frame size but you'll need a fair amount of expertise and some additional software to achieve that.

It's pretty easy to get good looking MPEG-2 output from compressor.

Let us know how you get on.

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Sep 12, 2008 at 9:02:46 am

Ok problem solved!

I tried using compressor but the files where with separate audio or without it or the file extension wasnt supported...(im not very good with compressor)

The solution came with Visualhub,(im starting to love this program), using the mpeg preset without touching nothing but the quality to maximum it genereted a mpg1 file that plays smooth and with good quality.

I can say ive tried more than 50 combinations of formats, bitrates conversors and options and this is the only one that worked for me.

Hope this helps others! and thank you Daniel Low for the help and advice.

Saludos David Mosquera Keith

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 12, 2008 at 10:41:54 am

In compressor you want to create a Program Stream not an Elementary stream.

MPEG-2 will obviously be higher quality than MPEG-1 but if you're happy with MPEG-1, then stick with it.

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Sep 12, 2008 at 12:05:24 pm

Hey Daniel, ive tried compressor again with program stream and got much better results than before , but for some reason when i send it to the usb hard drive first the sound wasnt sincronized,then i used ac3 as you suggested and the sound was ok but the image jitters at some points, im starting to think this multimedia drive is a piece of junk...i think ill stick to mpeg1, thanks again!

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Oct 1, 2008 at 5:32:26 am

Dont feel bad, I bought one of those Modix players and basiclly use it as a storage drive now. I was using it for HD though. Some players wil play DVD iso files great, just like a DVD with the menus. Have you tried that? Danny Hays

Return to posts index

David Mosquera Keith
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:24:28 am

Hey danny actually i did try to do it as a dvd iso file and i know it played but there was a problem i cant remember now, probably little image jumps, ( i tried so many thing i can hardly remember what was the problem with that)but most of the times it either didnt have enough quality or it jittered as when you try to play a video and the machine cant manage so much data at the same time and it starts stuttering...

anyways using your hard drive as storage,dont you have problems with files larger than 4gb,i think most multimedia hard drives have to be in FAT32 file system that doesnt allow files larger than 4gb( at least mine works that way..)

thanks for the suggestion!

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]