FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor conversion problem

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Compressor conversion problem
on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:27:47 am

Hi

I've been going throught the steps hilighted http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/you_tube_redux_gary.html and don't seem to be getting anywhere fast. After submitting the the job in Compressor it just comes back with a 'failed' everytime.
Any suggestions to why?

Mmmm.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor conversion problem
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:28:45 pm

We'd need a lot more information about what you are submitting before we could help, but do a search of this forum to read plenty of recent posts from people having problems with compressor.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:47:21 pm

Hi sorry for the intial lack of info.

I captured the original footage on a Canaon XH A1 in HD format. I de-interlaced the project when I'd finished.

Then I wanted the movie to be converted into a H.264 format for Vimeo and also a version for Youtube. The instructions from the Ken Stone article was seem the right choice for the compression needed for Youtube.

I exported the project into a QT Movie keeping all the original project settings then preceeded to go through the required settings hilighted in Ken Stone's article for Compressor.

When I placed the QT Movie in Compressor for conversion with all the correct setting, Compressor just come up with a 'Failed' and didn't give any explanation, it just froze.

Mmmm.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:02:24 pm

Not wanting to read through Kens great article again.... but...:

By 'HD' I assume you mean 1080i?

I assume you used Final Cut for the edit?

How and where did you deinterlace? - (Why didn't you leave the deinterlace task to compressor?)

What exactly did you give to compressor - a self contained clip?

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:09:11 pm

Hi

Yes HD=1080i

Yes FCP for the edit.

Before I exported as a QT Movie I selected the whole project and De-Interlaced (was that right or wrong?)

The I exported as a QT movie (H.264 as started in the article). Then that was the file that Compressor got.

Thanks

Mmmm.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 10, 2008 at 10:24:59 pm

It's not wrong, but it's also not nrearly the best option to use FCP to deinterlace. Compressor has much better deinterlace options found in its Frame Controls.

Initially you said that you kept all the project settings but in fact you changed the export from FCP to H.264 rather than keeping it as HDV. I think the article on Ken Stone is telling you to use compressor to generate the H.264 to upload to YouTube, not FCP to generate the H.264 to take into compressor!

IIRC, compressor does not accept H.264 as source

So, rather than export from FCP as H.264, just export the sequence to a Quicktime movie 'as-is' (You want to keep all the sequence settings), and take that into compressor

See how you go with that.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 11, 2008 at 8:06:02 pm

Hi Daniel

Sorry, I actually did keep the source footage as HDV then put it into Compressor. I mixed up because when that wouldn't work I did then export from FCP and changed to H.264 in the QT conversion window. Sorry for the confusion.

So going back to the original problem what other things would I need to lok at to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks

Marc

Mmmm.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:35:50 pm

Does it fail with other output formats?

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:47:56 pm

Hi

No, that was one of the first things I tried because I was wondering whether it was the source footage. It work on a few of the custom settings (can't remember which one's)

Thats why I can't understand it because it must be part of the settings on the Ken Stone's preset conflicting with the source material?

Thanks

Marc

Mmmm.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 11, 2008 at 10:17:30 pm

I'd suggest creating a new setting from scratch and start over again.

Other than that I have no other suggestions.

Let us know how you get on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]