FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 compression question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zach blumstein
h.264 compression question
on Sep 4, 2008 at 3:48:19 pm

i know h.264 compression is great for web compression of quicktime movies but can you use the h.264 compression preset in quicktime pro
to compress movies for use in dvd,tv and film and does it work well?
thanks
zach

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: h.264 compression question
on Sep 4, 2008 at 4:46:30 pm

As with your other post the question is a little too general and vague.

DVD uses MPEG-2.
Blu-Ray uses H.264
Digital TV transmission can use either MPEG-2 or H.264 in an MPEG-2 transport stream.
Film? Well film is Film. It's not digital but you could use H.264 encoded material for transfer to film.

H.264 is very versatile format that can go from a frame size of 128x96 through to 4096x2304 with data rates ranging from 64 kbit/s through to 960 Mbit/s.

Return to posts index

zach blumstein
on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:44:15 pm

well i have a 1280x720 movie at 16x9 aspect ratio
the client wants to be able to air this animation on multiple
platforms includind dvd, film and tv, i have already
rendered a "master movie" from after effects using an animation codec now i want to take this movie
and compress it for use on these platforms using quicktime pro
so im just curious what quicktime presets i should use
for example: mov to quicktime , mov to mpeg-2 and so on.
thanks
zach

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 4, 2008 at 7:00:23 pm

First of all you don't want to be using Quicktime Pro to create the alternate versions, it simply is not up to the task. You really need to get hold of a dedicated encoding application like compressor or episode, or get someone who has one of these to do the job for you.

Both of those applications ship with all the presets you'll probably need.

If you have to use QTPro then the only preset you be able to get any use out of is MOV to MPEG-2, if you have the MPEG-2 Quicktime plug-in...

There's no preset for film but you'd probably want to have rendered your animation out at at least 1920x1080

And there's nothing there for delivery to a TV channel, probably best leave it as 1280x720 H.264 and the station will deal with the rest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]