FORUMS: list search recent posts

WME rejects avi source file

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chong sooteck
WME rejects avi source file
on Aug 14, 2008 at 2:08:24 pm

Hi All,

Window Media Encoder 9 is rejecting an 24 minute avi (uncompressed) file exported out from Final Cut Pro via QuickTime conversion.

On different computers, the different versions of this avi file (I tried a few times) has produced different error messages, such as "Class factory cannot supply requested class", and etc..

The weird thing is that a 2 minute trailer (also uncompressed avi) edited in final cut using the exact same sequence settings as the 24 minute video - has been successfully encoded in WME without any problems.

What then is preventing WME from accepting the 24 minute avi? Although the uncompressed avi at 720x576 is approx. 44GB, I have more than 100G of harddisk space and the avi format do visibly give me the best encoding quality, and I have not read anywhere of a file-size limit for WME.

I realise Quicktime conversion does allow straight export into WMVs, but the colors are bleeding terribly and if WME9 could just accept the file, I think I'll have a good encoded WMV just like the 2 minute trailer.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance,
Wrecking my brains.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: WME rejects avi source file
on Aug 14, 2008 at 6:11:22 pm

There only limitations are if you are using a FAT32 file system under windows. If you are using NTFS then there is no real file size limit.

I'm not sure but it maybe something to do with the amount of free space you have left on your drive.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 16, 2008 at 1:19:17 am

In order to get around the file size limit, try using MPEG Streamclip and export an AVI with Photo JPEG compression at 75%. You get a smaller file that will "fool" WME to think it is a regular AVI. Caveat is that you MUST have quicktime loaded on the PC.

That's it. works great.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Aug 20, 2008 at 2:12:12 am

Have you checked out Expression Encoder?

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Overview.aspx?key=encoder

It's got better/faster WMV encoding than Windows Media Encoder, and can read QuickTime files natively (as long as it's a codec supported by QuickTime for Windows).

http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/Expression-Suite-2-and-Expression-Encoder-2-n...

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:21:21 am

Windows Media Encoder $FREE
Expression Encoder $199

Although EE is an excellent encoder, like WME it's a one trick pony.

IMHO, your money would be better put towards something like Procoder from Grass Valley, which is one of those 'Anything in, anything out' packages.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Aug 21, 2008 at 11:43:03 pm

Well, EE incorporates the VC-1 Encdoer SDK which offers higher quality, faster encoding, and a lot more control than the old SDK used in ProCoder. ProCoder's big brother Rhozet Carbon does have it, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]