FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Yonaitis
Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 3:04:09 am

Hello--

I've recently been asked to export a series of mpeg-2 files for a festival entry (source media is uncompressed quicktime 8-bit). The festival has some very specific details about their entry guidelines:

Format: MPEG-2
Encode at 8 MB/second
Audio and video combined into one file
Dimensions: 720x480
File size: Between 1 MB - 400 MB

I thought this would be a snap in Compressor, but I've been having some serious issues getting these parameters!

First off, whenever I export, even though the Compressor window says that the MPEG-2 setting is set to 720x480 (It won't even let me change it), the final product ALWAYS comes out 640x480. I know quicktime corrects for pixel aspect, but under movie info, it reads 640x480 for BOTH Normal Size and Current size--the quicktime is ACTUALLY 640x480.

Second, on the exports I've done from Compressor, the audio comes out pretty glitchy--lots of distorted clicks.

I've tried exporting both as Program and Transport streams...Can anyone save me here?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 7:06:29 am

What does VLC report as the transcoded frame size? I think you can safely ignore what QT reports.

What are the properties of the source audio?

Return to posts index

Ed Yonaitis
Re: Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 4:19:48 pm

Oh wow, opened it in VLC and playback is perfect. You were right about the aspect ratio, too!

Thanks, nearly lost my head there!

Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]