FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Yonaitis
Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 3:04:09 am

I've recently been asked to export a series of mpeg-2 files for a festival entry (source media is uncompressed quicktime 8-bit). The festival has some very specific details about their entry guidelines:

Format: MPEG-2
Encode at 8 MB/second
Audio and video combined into one file
Dimensions: 720x480
File size: Between 1 MB - 400 MB

I thought this would be a snap in Compressor, but I've been having some serious issues getting these parameters!

First off, whenever I export, even though the Compressor window says that the MPEG-2 setting is set to 720x480 (It won't even let me change it), the final product ALWAYS comes out 640x480. I know quicktime corrects for pixel aspect, but under movie info, it reads 640x480 for BOTH Normal Size and Current size--the quicktime is ACTUALLY 640x480.

Second, on the exports I've done from Compressor, the audio comes out pretty glitchy--lots of distorted clicks.

I've tried exporting both as Program and Transport streams...Can anyone save me here?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 7:06:29 am

What does VLC report as the transcoded frame size? I think you can safely ignore what QT reports.

What are the properties of the source audio?

Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying 'thanks' is free!

Return to posts index

Ed Yonaitis
Re: Crazy MPEG-2 Settings...Help!
on Aug 14, 2008 at 4:19:48 pm

Oh wow, opened it in VLC and playback is perfect. You were right about the aspect ratio, too!

Thanks, nearly lost my head there!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved