FORUMS: list search recent posts

How high would YOU set the data rate?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Buras
How high would YOU set the data rate?
on Aug 13, 2008 at 4:18:29 am

I'm compressing my newest reel for the web with H.246 compression in Quicktime format. I really want to squeeze out just a bit more quality by upping the data rate, but I don't want it to take forever to load for viewers. How high would you say is just too high? I know this is highly subjective, so I'm looking for subjective opinions.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: How high would YOU set the data rate?
on Aug 13, 2008 at 6:58:35 am

What kind of visual content is it? (Talking heads, music video, CGI?)

What frame size are you aiming for?

How long is it?

Where will most of your audience be viewing? Office, home, big city, remote clifftop?

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Buras
on Aug 13, 2008 at 2:55:23 pm

It's two minutes long with a lot of movement and quick cuts. I'd like it to be 640x360. I'm guessing that most people would be in a big city in the office or at home. Typical broadband, probably not T1 connections.

But again, I'm looking for subjective answers. With the computer you are using right now, how long are you willing to wait for a video to load?

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 13, 2008 at 3:02:06 pm

Not very long if it's checking out something. If a client asks me to view something I'll wait as long as I have to. :-)
Keeping up with connection speed is very important to me in my business.
Ed

[Jeffrey Buras] "But again, I'm looking for subjective answers. With the computer you are using right now, how long are you willing to wait for a video to load?"

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Aug 13, 2008 at 3:14:52 pm

I'd suggest a frame size of 512x288 as it's divisible by 16 on both axis, but 640x360 is div 8 so it won't be that much less efficient...

For a two minute clip delivered as progressive download over broadband connection, it doesn't really matter what the data rate is (as long as you don't go silly).
The important thing here is that the rate is high enough not to affect the quality of your work. Whether that ends up being 700Kb/s or 2.5Mb/s is difficult to say from where I'm sitting.

Ultimately, if it's something people want to see, they'll be prepared to wait a little while until the first part of the clip has downloaded and it starts to play.

If you have Quicktime Pro, download some of the trailers from Apples movie trailer site and check the datarate

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 13, 2008 at 3:00:19 pm

Daniel asked you all the right questions. But I do have a general rule of thumb these days. Most broad-band can handle much higher data rates than even a couple of years ago. For example, my local internet provider (the only game in town) used to offer 3 DL speeds 384, 700, and 1,500kbps. The price for the highest speed was way too high. Then they upgraded 2-3 years ago and now every customer now gets up to 6Mbps. Having said that, there are still bottlenecks within companies, etc. so I generally provide a 700kbps file, 650 for video, and 48 mono (unless it's got music) for audio.
Size depends on 4:3 or 16:9, but might be 480x360, 384x288 or 448x336 for 4:3 and 512x288, or 384x216 for 16:9. You could also offer 2 sizes for viewers, one at 700kbps and one at a much higher data rate for power users.
Here's a frame size chart to help:
http://blog.influxis.com/influxis/?p=14
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]