FORUMS: list search recent posts

Widescreen FLV Sizes...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
Widescreen FLV Sizes...
on Aug 1, 2008 at 2:58:46 pm

Hi, I've searched but couldn't find a definitive answer on what the formula is regarding screen sizes for wide screen FLV files from 16:9 NTSC DVCAM footage. I've done some print screes on various sites to see what size they have used and I can't find two the same. So...are there preset sizes you must use or is there a formula. I use Premiere to export and then Squeeze 5 for encoding. In a perfect world, I'd like it to be 480 wide by ?. Thanks for any direction.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Widescreen FLV Sizes...
on Aug 1, 2008 at 7:09:09 pm

Ideally make sure each side has a dimension divisible by 16.

Less ideal is to make them divisible by 8

Even less ideal is divisible by 4

A full table is available here:

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Aug 1, 2008 at 7:28:46 pm

Thank you Daniel, that table was just what I was looking for. I searched Adobe, The Cow and Google...guess I was putting the wrong info in. And thank you for the "16" rule as well.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Gault
on Oct 20, 2008 at 11:04:55 pm

Is this rule of "multiples of 16" also valid for Quicktime H264 files destined to be played in an flv player?

Mike

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Oct 20, 2008 at 11:26:48 pm

It's a good rule of thumb for any codec, however the H.264 standard is more flexible and is equally as efficient at 16x8, 8x16, 8x8, 8x4, 4x8, and 4x4.

Return to posts index

Mike Gault
on Oct 21, 2008 at 9:09:59 pm

Thanks for replying to an older original post.

Mike

Return to posts index

scott gene
on Apr 6, 2009 at 8:16:10 pm

Any tips on getting an HD flv to not be pixelated? I'm creating an interactive Flash piece that's destined to be viewed on 52" LCDs, and need to show some full screen video as well. All attempts at creating a smooth and clean FLV have failed.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 6, 2009 at 9:13:44 pm

Don't use vp6 flash but rather H.264 at a relatively high datarate. Only top quality 1080p is going to look any good on a monitor that size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]