FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze 5 Rounding Issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Sorenson Squeeze 5 Rounding Issues
on Jul 27, 2008 at 7:11:25 am

A while ago I posted about endless problems with uploading video that had been rendered out from Sony Vegas Pro v8.0b and then compressed using Sorenson Squeeze. The problems were mostly with Vimeo but I was having problems with Viddler and ExposureRoom too which wouldn't even upload the file (Adobe's uploader seems to be very picky and, it turns out, gives little in the way of error diagnosis information).

Thanks to the sterling work done by the folks over at ExposureRoom it looks like the cause of the problem is Sorenson Squeeze 5 changing my video size from 1280x720 to 1282x720 when "Same as source" is selected as the required file size in Sorenson Squeeze 5. Apparently this 1282 width is regarded as "illegal" by most of the server transcoders (and the Adobe video file uploader?) and appears to be the cause of all my problems.

Has anybody else hit this problem or found a way round it?

I've raised a support issue with Sorenson, and have to say I am disappointed with my experiences with this product, given its high reputation in the field which is what made me choose it. I've had a lot of problems with blank video being output when selecting H.264 transcoding that were eventually fixed, but only by a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with Sorenson and which involved uninstalling/reinstalling new versions to sort the problem out. And now this. It feels like this is a product that was rushed out the door without the required amount of testing being done first, but maybe I've just been unlucky in my choices of what to render out?

To recreate the "rounding issue" problem render out a 1280x720 video from your NLE as a Windows Media Video file (I don't think the format matters, but windows media video is what I am using in general). Open the rendered file in Windows Media Player and use File->Properties to check the size. It displays as 1280x720

Import the newly rendered wmv file in Sorenson Squeeze and copy the "Download" wmv "quickstart" filter for "1MB". Modify it by changing the "Frame Size" settings so that the "same as source" tickbox is checked. Render out the video and open the resulting video in Windows Media Player. Use File->Properties and you'll see that Sorenson has changed the size of the video to 1282x720

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Sorenson Squeeze 5 Rounding Issues
on Jul 28, 2008 at 9:14:52 am

I've not come across this bug before but the work around is pretty simple; don't use 'same as source', instead, explicitly set the frame size to 1280x720.

It may be worth trying another format out of Vegas just to confirm that it isn't the Windows Media file that's causing the problem.

What codec is your source material in? Can't you just export that directly to the transcoder?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]