FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO HD to SD DVD issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Parris
DVCPRO HD to SD DVD issues
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:25:27 am

We made the jump to HD and started shooting in DVCPRO HD (1080i60). We still deliver all of our final shows on standard DVD. I've been trying all week to come up with a workflow that will make a decent DVD from DVCPRO HD timelines, but I just can't get a decent image. First i tried just using the 2 pass best 90 minutes setting, and the dvd looked awful. Lots of heavy artifacting everywhere. Surfed the forums a bit, and someone recommended that I first convert the DVCPRO HD movie to SD 8 bit, then make the mpegs from the 8 bit movie. That helped a little, but still had artifacting in shoulders, hair, etc... So then I turned frame controls on and used the best setting for the resize filter when going from HD to SD 8 bit. This made further progress, but is still a lot worse than other SD dvd's I make with DVCPRO 50 footage or even mini dv footage. Anyone have a workflow out there that will give me a decent looking DVD? I can't seem to crack the HD to SD code.

I'm using Compressor 3 on a G5 quad.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: DVCPRO HD to SD DVD issues
on Jul 24, 2008 at 2:33:04 am

One idea is to send the S-video signal out of the KONA to a DVD recorder along with the RCA audio. Put the Recorder on High Quality Record, usually 1 hour on a disc. Play out the sequence with downconvert and record to the reocrder. Finalize the disc and then rip the MPEG-2 and AC3 audio with MPEG streamclip. Bring these into your authoring app and you're all set.

I have on several projects used the recorder as my poor man's realtime encoder and MPEG Streamclip to retrieve the files.

Or, if you already output a DVCProHD master, redigitize to DVCPro50 with downconvert on the deck and encode that file. But we have finally had some success with compressor on one project, but it took a while to get the settings right. Should NOT have been that hard.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: DVCPRO HD to SD DVD issues
on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:31:58 pm

This may help:

http://www.produxion.net/2008/04/08/hd-to-sd-conversion-the-holy-grail/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]