FORUMS: list search recent posts

compression confusion in PP CS3 namely .FLV & H.264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Horatio Wellington
compression confusion in PP CS3 namely .FLV & H.264
on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:46:05 pm

My source video is 720x480 DV .9, which I preprocess in vdub using various filters and export as 640x480 square pixels and lagarith lossless.

Then I use PP CS3 to add audio, titling and compress as FLV. The quality is terrible though, when compared to a codec such as XVID.

My videos are intended for the web, and are played using the JW Player.

Is there a better compression method that is as universally accepted as Flash/VP6? I read that MP4/H.264 is played in nearly every browser's flash player, is this true?

Also, how do the settings "profile" and "level" affect compression? Profile changes nothing, and Level switches my width/height to a preprogrammed default.

My greatest concern is that after compressing all these vids, many people won't be able to view them. I'm trying to balance quality with universality.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compression confusion in PP CS3 namely .FLV & H.264
on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:15:07 pm

Why are you using VDub first? I'm not sure what you're doing with that but you might be better off just working the the DV in PP CS3 first. Export to Flash with On2VP6 codec if you have the choice.

Return to posts index

Horatio Wellington
on Jul 24, 2008 at 5:03:32 am

I use three filters in vdub:

deinterlace (PPRO simply drops an entire field)
resize + crop (PPRO does not resize in lanczos3)
Autolevels (they are equal on this one, but since i'm already in vdub, I use it as well)

I finally figured out how to embed MP4/H.264 videos using Jquery. The quality and file size improvement over VP6 is phenomenal!

According to Adobe's statistics, 95% of web users have Flash 9 installed on their browser, so compatibility should not be an issue.

How do the "profile" and "level" options in the h.264 encoder affect the video?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:41:27 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly I don't think your workflow it optimal.
Edit first. Then use the best tools possible to deinterlace and resize. A good compression app can do this well.

Going through VDub, then taking a resized file into PPro, then compressing, has to result in a quality hit. Edit at highest resolution possible. Compress with a good compression app. If you want graphics etc to hold up, you can make sure you're compositing in a better codec than DV. Try 8 bit uncompressed for example.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:28:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264#Levels

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jul 26, 2008 at 7:41:31 pm

I use both VP6 and H.264, and I think H.264 might have a slight edge in quality, but not phenomenal.
As for penetration of Flash 9, it's 9.0.115 that introduced H.264 and that penetration is lessthan 9.0 (83.3% in the US and 78.6% in Europe, according to Adobe's site and June report):
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration...
The other thing is that there are still some glitches for some people using H.264 in Flash which have nothing to do with quality. Do a search and you'll find more info about that.
Ed

[Horatio Wellington] "I finally figured out how to embed MP4/H.264 videos using Jquery. The quality and file size improvement over VP6 is phenomenal!

According to Adobe's statistics, 95% of web users have Flash 9 installed on their browser, so compatibility should not be an issue.
"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]