FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recipe list for online distribution.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Recipe list for online distribution.
on Jul 21, 2008 at 5:55:15 pm

With the ever increasing number and importance of online distribution (ie YouTube, iTunes, Revver, Yahoo Vide, etc) I think it would be really helpfull to have a "recipe list" for the optimal encoding setting for each site. I would be more than happy to assemble this if you all would help accrue this info and maybe we could post it as a permanent article here on the cow.

Scott Davis

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

cow
Daniel Low
Re: Recipe list for online distribution.
on Jul 22, 2008 at 6:58:48 am

Most of the 'recipe list' can be found here.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 22, 2008 at 1:51:15 pm

I realize that Daniel. I was trying to help by compiling all the recipes in one place so you wouldn't have to dig around in google. Thanks anyway.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 22, 2008 at 3:15:18 pm

The trouble with any 'list' or guide like this, just like pretty well every book on the subject, is that by the time it's compiled or written, it's usually out of date.

Obviously the other thing to consider are the wide variety of ingredients needed for the recipes:

Platform/OS.
Source format(s).
Content type (fast, slow, average).
Editing software.
Transcode/Encode application(s).
Delivery formats.
Etc.

As such I believe it's often easier for me when people to ask " I have a video in x format that I need to deliver in 'y' format. It's of 'z' subject matter and I have access to 'a', 'b' & 'c' applications.

Sadly most people just ask What's the best.....way to produce the best 'y' without providing any information on 'a' 'b' 'c' & 'x'.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 22, 2008 at 4:14:34 pm

Agreed, but each site has their own recommended settings. H.264, Flash, 320x240, etc. etc. What I would like to do is compile a list of each sites recommend settings and publish that for all to have a beginning point.

Scott Davis

Return to posts index

Timothy J. Allen
on Jul 23, 2008 at 7:51:15 pm

It would be useful to me. At least it would be more up to date than the paper list I have tacked up on my wall.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2008 at 10:20:59 pm

Things are changing too quickly and often the optimal settings depend on what compression tools you have available and sometimes the sites changes things and they're not always announced or obvious until you suddenly notice the difference.

I talked about this generally at a MoPicTiv (formerly NYFCPUG) meeting a couple of months back. Not more than a week after the meeting things changed again on some of the sites (YouTube, Google Video, Vimeo, ExposureRoom).

It would probably be better if someone kept up with this and had a web page people could book mark or have an RSS feed so you'd be notified that somebody spotted a change.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]