FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Compression Help Please!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Ella
Newbie Compression Help Please!
on Jul 18, 2008 at 10:06:50 am

I have read many posts on here but am a bit confused (make that very confused) I come from a still photography background so am fairy new to video, and all the 'codecs' and stuff are blowing my mind. Here is what I need to do:-

I have shot footage on XDCAM 1080 25p and edited in FCP. I have exported using Quicktime in 1980x1080 ProRes 422 (HQ), as to be honest it seemed to match what I'd filmed in??? The quicktime looks great when played on my MacPro and is 12.2GB in size. So then I wanted to make a DVD so I exported using Compressor > MPEG2 > Best for 90mins and ended up with a 425mb file. The end product looks OK but I was wondering why a 12GB file should be compressed down to only 425mb, would it not be better to compress it to nearer 4GB as this is nearer the capacity of a DVD, if so how would i do this?

Like I say I'm from a still background and used to the RAW > TIFF workflow and want to compress as little as possible, just seems a massive drop in file size on the above example.

Appreciate any advice

Graham

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Newbie Compression Help Please!
on Jul 18, 2008 at 2:02:19 pm

MPEG-2 used for DVD has upper limits on datarate so can't go above 9.8Mb/s and most people would avoid going that high when authoring a DVD.

Secondly you have reduce the frame size considerably and this alone would cut down on the datarate.

Comparing XDCAM/ProRes with MPEG-2 for DVD like going from 10MB RAW to a 1MB JPEG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]