FORUMS: list search recent posts

How 2 Render AVI High Quality under 10GB?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
amirdash hasbold
How 2 Render AVI High Quality under 10GB?
on Jul 17, 2008 at 5:13:30 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to render High Quality 5 minute AVI file that would fit on 4GB DVD disc.

My rendered file coming out as 10GB. I'm using No Compression. It will be for TV Broadcast.

Do you have any compression suggestions that still gives High Quality Video?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: How 2 Render AVI High Quality under 10GB?
on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:53:40 am

There are loads of options to reduce the file size. What formats does the Broadcaster accept?

Return to posts index

amirdash hasbold
on Jul 18, 2008 at 12:59:49 pm

They accept AVI.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 18, 2008 at 1:32:13 pm

AVI is simply a container format that can use any number of CODECS from very lossy (very poor quality) through Divx to DV to uncompressed.

You'll need to ensure that whatever CODEC you choose to use, they also have.

I suggest you check with them what CODECs they support but in the meantime you should start testing with Huffyuv:

http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 19, 2008 at 9:39:07 pm

Here's a great AVI tip. If you have Quicktime on the PC, and the other person has Quicktime on their PC, download MPEG Streamclip for free on the Squared5.com website. Open the AVI and save as AVI but choose PhotoJPEG at 75% quality for the output. This AVI file looks just like any other AVI file, and ONLY if Quicktime is installed, BUT it is 1/5 the size.

Best trick I can think of. Even Windows Media Encoder will recognize the AVI as a regular AVI, even though the PhotoJPEG codec is a Quicktime codec.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 19, 2008 at 10:06:15 pm

Rich,

Great tip.

One thing to remember about compressing to PhotoJPEG is that if the quality slider is set to 74% or below then the clip will have colour subsampling values of 4:2:0, but at 75% or above it'll be 4:2:2.

Sadly, it's amazing how many PC users don't have Quicktime installed and indeed shun or avoid the use of it because it's 'Apple'.

Return to posts index

amirdash hasbold
on Jul 19, 2008 at 11:05:32 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the Tip.

How about exporting it as MPG file?

Will it be still High Quality?

I just don't want to burn 10GB AVI into 2 DVDs.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 20, 2008 at 2:35:31 am

If you have a decent MPEG2 encoder on the PC, then you can indeed encode a Program stream MPEG-2 with audio at a high bitrate (around 15mbps constant bit) and see if the station will take that. Actually this is becoming an almost standard delivery format.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]