FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please Explain

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Vaillancourt
Please Explain
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:38:59 pm

Hey there, can someone please explain to me a couple fundamentals of MPEG2 encoding. I know there is hardware based encoding and software based encoding. (sorry I'm a production guy so I'm new to compression)

I shot a commercial and had a company compress it to MPEG2 for DVD directly from a DigiBeta, the quality was phenomenal, almost identical visually.

Is there a solution if I have an uncompressed Quicktime file to get that same quality? In theory a DigiBeta and an uncompressed quicktime file are the same quality, so how do I achieve that 'Hollywood DVD' or 'broadcast' looking MPEG? Compressor does a good job, but it's just not anywhere close to the DigiBeta encode. Do I buy a special video card, special software? Budget really isn't a great issue, just looking for top quality and I can't understand why I should have to go from tape to MPEG2 when I'm sitting here with a beautiful Quicktime file.

Thank you for your help
Justin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Please Explain
on Jul 16, 2008 at 8:48:38 pm

Hardware encoders make the job faster. There are very good software encoders, but they are slower, that;s the main difference. Do a search of this forum and you'll find lots of discussions about other encoders. While Compressor is good, BitVice is better. Procoder on PC is great too. The new CinemaCraft (new for Mac) is supposed to be excellent. If you would just scroll down in this forum you'd find all kinds of answers, try that.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]