FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed NTSC quicktime to PAL?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Yonaitis
Uncompressed NTSC quicktime to PAL?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 11:58:56 pm

Hello--

I'm trying to upload an uncompressed quicktime of a music video for a British company; they need a PAL quicktime, uncompressed 8-Bit. I have a 720x486 uncompressed NTSC 8-Bit quicktime, digitized through a Kona Lhe card. Is there any way I can cross convert to PAL and still retain the Uncompressed codec?

Ed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Uncompressed NTSC quicktime to PAL?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 9:09:08 am

Yes, but it'll need to be properly standards converted. Why does it have to be uncompressed? Was it shot on Film?

Framesize - 720x576
Frame rate 25 FPS

Not at all easy to do it properly - This is one of the best software tools for performing it.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

Or you could lay it back off to tape and take it to a facility to be standards converted in realtime using dedicated hardware.

Return to posts index

Ed Yonaitis
on Jul 15, 2008 at 8:39:47 pm

Yeah, a British production company requested an uncompressed version. It wasn't shot on film, but they still want highest quality.

Thanks for the lead. I'm surprised Compressor doesn't have the capabilities to convert.

Ed

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 15, 2008 at 9:44:49 pm

A lot of people ask for uncompressed when they don't really know what they are talking about. No point delivering uncompressed if it was shot on DV or HDV for example. Some people refer to uncompressed as 'not compressed any more than the original source'. Everything is compressed when compared to film.

8bit vs 10 or 12 bit, 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 etc

Compressor is certainly capable of 'standards conversion' but the results will not compare to a 'standards converter', in the majority of cases.

Return to posts index

Jason Heller
on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:35:56 am

WOW! thanks for the Nattress tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]