FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Compression and Ip delivery

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Siesel
Sorenson Compression and Ip delivery
on Jul 13, 2008 at 3:42:14 pm

As a News Photographer in Florida we are looking at Ip based delivery of Avid sequences. Since we are using Avid products on a windows based platform that leaves us with using Sorenson Squeeze.

What settings and details have others been using to send compressed broadcast quality video via the internet?

I have been working with mpeg-4 512k bitstreams. Should I be trying something else?

It seems like there are a variety of choices with
video codecs and other details such as single pass mutlitple pass
quality....

The objective is to find the right compression to provide a file size that can be sent via mobile networks (EVDO) or broadband.

Any thoughts or other experience in this will be helpful.

Steve

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Sorenson Compression and Ip delivery
on Jul 13, 2008 at 3:55:38 pm

I may not be able to help much but...... EVDO can support up to 3.1Mbits (Rev0 can do 2.4). So why send at 512k? When you say MPEG-4, do you mean high quality H.264 or the lesser quality H263? And lastly, Squeeze isn't your only choice, ProCoder is a very good option. For regular web based video (using progressive download) I use 700kbps as my standard now. So even if you stay conservative, you can increase your data rate substantially. Are you just trying to send video for broadcast, but not trying to stream it directly from your EVDO connection? if so, you can increase the data rate substantially. My apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.
Ed

Return to posts index

Steve Siesel
on Jul 13, 2008 at 4:12:59 pm

I think its is using H264 by default since there are some choices for H263. And to try an clear some of this up, this would not be a streaming upload however FTP upload to be played later. I'm just trying to find the right details to reduce file size and retain quality.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 14, 2008 at 9:22:40 am

Just to clear up some confusion here:

When talking about MPEG-4, one can refer to two standards, MPEG-4 Part 2 and MPEG-4 part 10.

Part 2 is the 'lower quality' type, commonly used for less powerful devices. 3GPP uses this and so does YouTube as H.263 was the basis for the Sorenson Spark CODEC.

Part 10 is otherwise known as H.264 or indeed AVC (Advanced Video Codec). BluRay uses this, as do Apple for all their movie trailers and Youtube is slowly transcoding all their video to this format.

H.263 is another standard altogether. It's very old and very rarely used for content delivery. It is most certainly not suitable for broadcast

So to answer the OP's question; if you need to delivery broadcast quality you should be using H.264 rather than MPEG-4 Part 2. Your datarates however will need to be a lot higher than 512Kb/s to maintain 'broadcast' quality, you should be looking at about 2Mb/s as a minimum, depending on the material being compressed.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jul 14, 2008 at 11:49:53 am

Yeah, thanks for catching that Daniel,
I lumped h.263 into the MPEG-4 camp in the sentence by mistake. What I was trying to get at is that H.263 is an option in Squeeze and when I mentioned H.264 I didn't want him to mistakenly be choosing H.263 (which is an IP delivery compression scheme, but not a very good one).
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]