FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output to HD from HD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Atkins
Output to HD from HD
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:16:37 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right group or not.

I've been trying to work with Hd for a while now. Before I explain my issues, let me describe my setup and equipment.

Camera: Sony HDR-FX1, HD recording at 1440x1080i MiniDV
Computer: MacBook Pro 15in, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz
Editing: Final Cut Studio 2, all the latest updates.
Capture method: Firewire
Output method: SD DVD or Data file (SD and HD files) (for computer use)

Heres is my problem. I record in HD 1080i, like mentioned before and capture in HDV 1080i 60fps (29.99). When I'm done editing is when I usually run into quality issues - I just don't know what to use. The setting that works best for me is Quicktime Conversion in H.264.

Should I be using Compressor for this process? I'm not looking to burn a Blu-ray, yet because I don't have the equipment to do so. I'm mainly look for outputting files to be run in Quicktime, etc. to be run on computers.

One more quick thing, other than Compressing with MPEG2 to a SD DVD default (90, 120, 150), is there a better way you suggest to export if you want to down convert from HD to SD? So far, I'm happy with that conversion, it's outputting in HD that does not look so great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Daniel Low
Re: Output to HD from HD
on Jul 1, 2008 at 3:45:09 pm

Use compressor to convert to H.264. Page 154 of the compressor 3 user manual guides you through the process for H.264 1920x1080.

For going to an SD/DVD format you'll find a bunch of posts in this forum covering the subject and here's a good link

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:08:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i don't have the Compressor 3 user manual - i bought the academic version of final cut studio 2 and it only came with 6 volumes of manual, helpful, but not.

Is there a site or another forum where this process is explained?

Don't know if someone wants to send some PDF's via e-mail.

Thanks for the help. I will wait for a reply.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:18:12 pm

The user manual should be installed with all versions - use spotlight, it should find it.

If not, you can download it from here:

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47:31 pm

Oh that manual, Ok. I thought you were talking about another separate printed manual. I will look at that and hope I can come to a conclusion.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]