FORUMS: list search recent posts

YouTube + High Quality H.264 = junky video?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Neidert
YouTube + High Quality H.264 = junky video?
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:17:05 pm

I wonder if anyone could give me a reason why I am experiencing a particular problem. I have been compressing a video for YouTube. I haven't posted a video on there in some time but I noticed that they changed the file size limits. I figured "oh thats great" I have a preset built in Squeeze that I have used in the past for the best possible uploads to YouTube. I decided to scrap that given the new file limit and other file type changes. I built a new preset that I figured would give my 6:30 video the best quality for the upload. I tried it and it looked like junk once uploaded. I changed it a couple of times always thinking that I could go with a higher bit rate and large file size now that I can. Yet I still had marginal results. Thinking about the problem I though well maybe when YouTube is compressing it to flash that I am giving them too much information even though they say that they can take it. I lowered the bit rate substantially and to my surprise I ended up with a decent looking video after the upload. I still used Main Concept h.264 with the same key frame settings, the same 640 x 480 aspect... I just changed the bit rate. Can anyone illuminate why when presented with a larger, higher quality file YouTube's compression to flash made the video worse? I am not a compression guru by any means, but it still just didn't make sense.

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: YouTube + High Quality H.264 = junky video?
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:24:44 pm

It's hard to make a judgment without seeing a link.

YouTube now has a High Quality and a Standard Quality setting for playback. Did you make sure you enabled High Quality playback when you viewed the results on YouTube?

Return to posts index

David Neidert
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:28:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have my account settings set to always view the high quality. Unfortunately there is no video to link to at this point. I had to delete the final upload to make some changes. I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same or knew anything about it.

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 25, 2008 at 7:40:46 pm

I did a few tests some weeks back in just this area. All my encodes were H264 .mov from XDCAM EX HD source.

I found that 480x270 at 3000kbps looked horrible and only showed as standard quality
640x360 at 5000kbps look very good at high quality. Going to larger frame size or higher data rate had no significant improvement in quality.

Return to posts index

Alan Williams
on Jul 1, 2008 at 7:31:16 pm

I'm pretty sure youtube chooses who and what has high quality playback. If you notice their "partners" always have high quality playback where normal videos do not... I could be wrong.

Also there is a way to upload video above the 100mb limit. From what i read you download their uploader (PC only)then you can add 1 gig files. Check the help for more info (i'm at work)

hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 1, 2008 at 7:40:48 pm

[Alan Williams] "I'm pretty sure youtube chooses who and what has high quality playback"

Not really anymore. Give them a good encode and the viewer has the choice between standard and high quality viewing. I can't remember the threshold offhand but it's simply meeting a spec. They don't choose.

[Alan Williams] " From what i read you download their uploader (PC only)then you can add 1 gig files."

Works on Mac too. I download their utility which is called "Google Updater" in my Apps folder and it includes YouTube Uploader 1.0.23

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]