FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 and Interlacing...help!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Yonaitis
H.264 and Interlacing...help!
on Jun 25, 2008 at 6:29:22 am

Hi,

I've recently taken a job with a commercial production office; part of my responsibilities is digitizing commercial spots and uploading them to web. We have a Sony DigiBeta deck with an AJA Kona Lhe card set up with Final Cut Pro. Most of the stuff I'm importing was originally shot on film, so there's obviously a pulldown taking place on the tape. I'm bringing them in 720x486 @ 29.97 fps, with the Apple 8-bit Uncompressed codec. The quicktimes look interlaced when I bring them in, which I figure, "Hey, makes sense, it's uncompressed, two fields, should be interlaced".

I use these settings when exporting with Compressor:

Quicktime movie
H.264 codec
Key frame rate: Automatic
Multi-pass
29.97 fps
Data rate: 1200 kbps
Size: 640x480
Fast start streaming

I'm also sure to check Deinterlacing under the filters, with sharp algorithm selected.

The resulting exported quicktimes still look like crap! The picture quality looks OK in terms of sharpness, but I'm getting awful interlacing lines on the edges of anything that moves in the frame. It's driving me nuts, because I know I've seen good H.264 stuff exported before without interlacing. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: H.264 and Interlacing...help!
on Jun 25, 2008 at 2:59:18 pm

Use the Frame Controls settings in compressor to deinterlace rather than the deinterlace filter.

Return to posts index

Ed Yonaitis
Re: H.264 and Interlacing...help!
on Jul 2, 2008 at 9:01:51 pm

That worked great, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]