FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 How much black?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
MPEG2 How much black?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 12:58:26 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm authoring a DVD and was wondering how much black/handles I should export before and after my clip. I guess it probably depends on I-P-B frame settings I use, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with 10 frames? 30 frames?

I'm doing motion menus and motion transitions...and I want them to be as quick as possible so I need to eliminate any lag time of hanging on a still frame.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: MPEG2 How much black?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 6:35:25 pm

Zero frames unless you are fading/dissolving from black.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jun 24, 2008 at 12:46:51 am

Well first, let me say thanks!

And I am doing fades to and from black...using 1sec of black before and after. This has seemed to work, just wondering if anyone had any more experience with something better.

I'm also doing motion graphics between menus and...from what you are saying...I won't have an issue with any movement in my compression if I transcode right to the ending of the movements?

Thanks again...and did I mention thanks!

Seriously...I do appreciate the help...just a bit of sarcasm to liven things up!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 24, 2008 at 10:28:02 am

"I'm also doing motion graphics between menus and...from what you are saying...I won't have an issue with any movement in my compression if I transcode right to the ending of the movements?"

I'm not sure I understand you here.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jun 24, 2008 at 2:35:52 pm

[Daniel Low] "I'm not sure I understand you here."

OK...I have 1 second and 15 frames of an animated transition. (built in After Effects with keyframes) Frame 1 is my first keyframe of movement and frame 45 is my last keyframe of movement. At that point, the DVD links to a stillframe with all elements positioned correctly.

So if I render out to MPEG2 to the absolute first and last frame of keyframed movement...you're saying that I won't have any issues with the positioning matching up? Correct?

Return to posts index

Chaos Wrangler
on Jun 24, 2008 at 4:07:10 pm

they should match up. it depends on how the still is interpreted, in earlier times I had to make a still movie so they would match up. But I think software is better these days.
Something to play with - force an I-Frame on the last frame of the movement, it might make the transition smoother.
Drew

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 25, 2008 at 11:35:26 pm

For menus, use whatever works, but movies themselves should ALWAYS have at least 2 seconds (3 is better) of black at the tail end or you risk having the program cut off the last 2 seconds.

a lot of set top players and some pc software players do that.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 26, 2008 at 2:00:46 pm

....but movies themselves should ALWAYS have at least 2 seconds (3 is better) of black at the tail end or you risk having the program cut off the last 2 seconds

Interesting. I've been transcoding for DVD for several years now (and have been working with video for a couple of decades) and have never done what you suggest.

I'd be interested to learn more about the reasons you do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]