FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDSP stops encoding 30 seconds early!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Olen Ray
DVDSP stops encoding 30 seconds early!
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:50:57 pm

Here's an oddity (maybe addressed already, but I don't see it), I have a quicktime file in FCP and exported it using Compressor... strangely the mpeg ends at about 30 seconds before the file does (AC3 as well)... the movie was 90 minutes long... the mepg came out at 89:40.

I did a re-edit of the same movie that now brought the film down to 84 minutes and exported it again from an entirely new quicktime (no markers or cuts involved in the time line at all)... once again the mpeg cuts off at exactly the same place as before... leaving about 30 seconds left unencoded.

What could this possibly be?

Fred

Return to posts index

Jim Britton
Re: DVDSP stops encoding 30 seconds early!
on Jun 26, 2008 at 2:19:26 pm

Fred,

When did notice that your mpeg was short? Was it when you imported it into DVDSP?

Jim

Return to posts index

Fred Olen Ray
on Jun 26, 2008 at 3:32:51 pm

Yes, all three times its happened... I eventually added on the missing thirty seconds in DVDSP, but it bumps a little right there (of course!). It might have something to do with the fact that I'm downsizing an HD ProRes timeline to SD... but why that would happen in exactly the same place 3 times out is creepy.

Fred

Return to posts index

Jim Britton
on Jun 26, 2008 at 4:53:10 pm

I've had something similar happen, that's why I asked about DVDSP. In Studio Pro, I ended up removing all the chapter markers on the Track, reimported my new asset, and placed it on the track. It fixed the problem, I was able to view the whole thing. My best guess is that it had something to do with GOPs. So maybe the encode didn't stop 30 seconds early...maybe it was DVDSP not seeing the whole thing because of a chapter marker (or some other marker--compression/score). Have you tested the mpeg somewhere else? Mpeg Steamclip - or even in a Finder preview window?

Jim

Return to posts index

Fred Olen Ray
on Jun 26, 2008 at 10:50:03 pm

In my searching around I found a post somewhere that suggested re-importing, but it really didn't help... I don't think the mpeg was really there at all as I was able to place the missing portion and butt it up against the end in order to complete the project...

Fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]