FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best compression for QT streaming

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Silva
Best compression for QT streaming
on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:55:34 pm

We create a lot of streaming files that are 30 - 60 minutes in length. Mostly lectures and seminars. 320x240, MPEG4, about 50 kps, Qualcom Pure Voice for the audio side. We run real time compression using Digital Rapids StreamZ. Is there a better compression scheme to use? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks - Tim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Best compression for QT streaming
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:31:57 pm

What are you wanting to improve/make better?

If your pictures are acceptable at only 50Kb/s and the audio is OK then you'll not be able to improve on it using a different format like WMV.

If you're coming from tape into the Rapids then you have access to their great hardware deinterlacer, not that it will be that stressed dealing with seminar type material!

Return to posts index

Tim Silva
on Jun 18, 2008 at 7:56:13 pm

I'm just wondering if there's a better method which will achieve smaller file sizes and better picture quality. Overall the files look good but am I getting the best that I can get?

Tim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:26:24 pm

If it's not broke don't try and fix it.

Or, if your clients are happy don't upset them by going with a a different format just to get a few % better quality.

As I said, the StreamZ is a quality piece of kit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]