FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash Video for the Web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Montgomery
Flash Video for the Web
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:56:52 pm

Hi, Our company has recently started doing a lot more videos for our sites and I have a few questions regarding the quality of our videos. First let me give you some info. We are currently shooting HDV with the JVC HD110 (switching to DVCPRO with the HVX200 soon), editing in final cut pro, then encoding with the Flash video encoder (the one that comes with Flash) using the On2 VP6 codec, a max data rate of 550kbs, resizing to 445x250 then posting to our site. The quality of the videos after flash encoding really leaves something to be desired. Artifacts are very present and any graphics look very pixelated. Im wondering if there is something I could be doing with my current program set to make these look better or if purchasing a separate compression/encoding software such as sorenson squeeze or episode would take our videos to the next level of quality. I look all over the web and see videos that look great and have reasonable files sizes and am wondering where im going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Flash Video for the Web
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:07:40 am

First thing to do is correct your frame size.

Check out this page for the best guide to sizes:

http://blog.influxis.com/influxis/?p=14

Are you using CBR or VBR encoding?

A standalone encoding package will probably up the quality but give the above a try first.

Return to posts index

Max Montgomery
Re: Flash Video for the Web
on Jun 18, 2008 at 5:21:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I altered the frame size to better suit the On2 VP6 codec according to your link and I cant really tell a difference. It may be a bit better but the results are very minimal. As far as the bit rates go, I dont see an option to change them in the flash video encoder from constant to variable. Am I missing something? How much of a difference do you think a stand alone encoder would change our quality? We are more than willing to purchase one if we will notice a big difference I just want to make sure it warrant the 300-600 dollar purchase.

If this helps here is a link to an example of one of the videos. This video was shot with our JVC HD110, exported from Final Cut (via File>Export Quicktime Movie), brought into the Flash video Encoder (included with Flash CS3), and posted to our site. Thanks again for the help.
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/tipsandtricks/videopage.html?cref=2529'>
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/tipsandtricks/videopage.html?cref=2529

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]