FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Compression & Workflow

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Brennan
EX1 Compression & Workflow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 2:23:19 pm

Lets say you shoot an event with the Sony EX1 at 1080i 29.97 4:2:0 and, instead of importing the files directly from the cards, you take the signal from the HD-SDI output and import the footage real time into your computer using Apple Pro Res 29.97 at 4:2:2.

Will you loose quality? If so, how much of a difference does this make? Is this something you should ever do? and lastly, what happens to the signal through this conversion?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Dean

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 Compression & Workflow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 2:37:44 pm

You won't lose quality but you lose the advantage of faster than real time input. It may create organizational issues when you archive too. You'd have individual clips on the cards (backed up to?) and likely a continuous Pro Res clip in your project. I really can't see too many reasons for going this route.

Import from SxS cards and either convert to Pro Res or edit in XDCAM EX and set time renders to Pro Res. The latter is what I do.

Return to posts index

Dean Brennan
Re: EX1 Compression & Workflow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 3:07:58 pm

Yea you are correct. The reason I asked is because we had a company shoot an event for us because we were booked. They shot with the EX and I believe they captured it through the HD-SDI instead of just grabbing the native files from the cards and providing us with those. The footage really looks pixelated and I thought it might have lost quality. They rented the camera so we do not have the original files. If this were to happen again what do you think a good workflow would be to acquire the footage from them?

Again, I appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]