FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video compression for the web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Jones
Video compression for the web
on Jun 5, 2008 at 2:00:01 pm

Does anyone have any good techniques for high quality video compression for the web?
I am currently exporting to .flv from final cut or quicktime pro and the files come out decent but can be very interlaced or not great quality. I am trying for a polished final compressed file, any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Video compression for the web
on Jun 5, 2008 at 3:18:20 pm

Hard to make any suggestions without knowing lots of details.
What's your source codec and video specs?
What is your target? Web can be anything from dial up to 100Mbps in parts of Europe.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:23:28 pm

To get the best results you need a dedicated encoding application like Episode or FFMPEGX (http://homepage.mac.com/major4/)

Neither FCP or Quicktime will produce decent quality output for the web.

Return to posts index

Jesse Jones
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:53:57 pm

Thanks for the software tip I will look into that. What do you think of apple compressor?

My target audience is people that have fast computers with fast connection speeds. I am exporting out at your normal sizes. I am using your basic codec that comes up as the default codec when exporting to .flv. I believe it is cinepak.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jun 6, 2008 at 6:33:05 am

Cinepak? Wow, that's a blast from the past! Cinepak is 15+ years old right now, and is almost unbelivablly primative compared to anything anyone under 30 has ever seen. But hey, it could do 320x240 15 fps on a 50 MHz computer! And only took 80 minutes to encode a minute of video on that era's fastest computer...

It was the start of the vector quantization era of multimedia codces, which ended with Sorenson Video 3.

The guy who designed it is now the CTO of Microsoft's MediaRoom (IPTV) group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinepak

.flv uses either H.263 or VP6. How about you back up a bit and tell us what your content is like and what you want to do with it.

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 6, 2008 at 9:21:53 am

You're getting a bit confused, cinepak does not have any kind of relationship with Flash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]