FORUMS: list search recent posts

h264's are too dark in firefox, HELP!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
franck deron
h264's are too dark in firefox, HELP!
on May 30, 2008 at 1:30:42 am

I'm in the process of finishing my website. But Firefox drives me crazy. I've compressed all my videos thru h264. I'm really happy with the results, as they look good across the board from safari, mac and pc... except with Firefox on Mac. The quicktimes come out way too dark while using the firefox browser.

What is going on here and how can I fix it???

Check out a sample quicktime here:
http://franckderon.com/QUICKTIMES/lair.html

Can you even tell a difference on your monitor?

I've done a bunch of research and can't find an answer. I know Safari is the only color managed browser out there. I know about the gamma shift in quicktime. Does that have something to do with it? I tried compressing thru sorensen, but I can't get the same excellent image as thru h264.

What do I have to do so that my quicktimes look the same in Safari and Firefox?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

franck deron
Re: h264's are too dark in firefox, HELP!
on May 30, 2008 at 10:49:43 pm

I just don't get it, how come partizan can get its h264's to look the same on firefox and safari? Check out this video:

http://partizan.com/partizan/v.php/artificial_army_obie_trice_feat_saigon_w...

┬┐What are they doing differently?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 31, 2008 at 8:52:02 pm

With my Mac target Gamma set at 2.2, I don't see much difference between Safari and Firefox.

Return to posts index

franck deron
on Jun 2, 2008 at 11:00:33 pm

Weird, is it only me seeing this? I checked on different computers at work and at home, and all the quicktimes look way darker on firefox then they do on safari. Check this pic off my desktop: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1968/safarivsfirefoxip5.png

The column on the left is the original quicktime, middle is safari, right is firefox.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jun 3, 2008 at 6:41:13 am

What is your Gamma set to?

Return to posts index

franck deron
on Jun 3, 2008 at 4:10:45 pm

Return to posts index

Jim Taylor
Re: h264's are too dark in firefox
on May 3, 2010 at 2:43:47 am

Have you found a solution to this? I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Very frustrating!

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
Re: h264's are too dark in firefox
on Aug 9, 2010 at 10:38:29 pm

I just came across this as well. All the videos on my blog are much darker, more contrasty, and redder in Firefox. They are all h.264 (.mov or .m4v)

I played with Firefox's color management options and nothing corrected it.

It looks like a color management issue (e.g. like a still photo that is in sRGB but gets mistagged or misread as Adobe RGB.)

I don't see the issue when videos are hosted in Vimeo or YouTube. I don't see it when it's a flashed based video.

Return to posts index

Gregory Kennedy
same
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:09:26 am

Having the exact same problem. Very frustrating.i thought maybe if i compressed them differently in ogg or V8 i would get better results but so far that's not solved the problem either although i'm new to converting to V8

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: same
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:34:10 am

Well if you have the same issue with H.264 and VP8 (WebM) you know the issue isn't the codec.
If a thread that started two and half years ago doesn't have answer maybe you should start a new thread. Maybe you're seeing a similar symptom but have an entirely different problem.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum and start a new thread with COMPLETE details.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]