FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on amount of content on SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Goodman
Question on amount of content on SD DVD
on May 29, 2008 at 7:06:35 pm

Greetings,

I've posted this question in the DVD Authoring forum, but I'm afraid it didn't garner any attention. Also, I've done a search in the forums for an answer to my questions, but I must be using the wrong search terms.

I have a client that has four DVCAM tapes filled with conference lectures. He wants me to put each of the tapes onto a single SD DVD. That is, about three hours of content per DVD.

I've never actually authored a DVD that long, and I told him that if it was even possible, the compression needed would make the video look pretty bad.

My questions are: Is this even possible?, is it worth it?; if it is possible, what compression scheme would be best recommended.

I haven't seen the footage yet, but I imagine it's of the locked-down-camera-with-an-occasional-pan type ... But I'm not sure.

I would be using FCP and DVDSP 4 with Compressor.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
bfg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Question on amount of content on SD DVD
on May 29, 2008 at 7:15:23 pm

I've done it. Quality is subjective but yes it will take a quality hit given the low data rate needed. If you or your client go back to the days when VCDs were common they may find the quality acceptable. If the source is low motion you might be OK. In my case I did it with a 3 plus hour panel discussion which the client wanted on one disc.

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 29, 2008 at 7:20:57 pm

Thanks for replying. VCDs .... Very Compressed Discs ... ha, ha ....

Do you remember which codec you used? Was out of Compressor or another compression program?

Thanks,
bfg

bfg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2008 at 7:37:59 pm

I used Compressor. I don't remember if I ended up using 2 Pass VBR or CBR but I think it was 2 Pass VBR.

I'd suggest testing a small section of about 3 minutes or so (to really see what VBR might do you have to give it some time IMHO).

If you have other compression software such as Episode or Squeeze (and there are others too when it comes to MPEG2) you might want to test them at your targeted low bit rate. It may well challenge some programs.

Cinema Craft plugin for Compressor might be worth the look if you have the budget for it.

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 29, 2008 at 8:24:22 pm

Thanks. I'm using compressor as well. If I can't talk the client out of having three hours of video on one disc, I'll just have to lower the bite rate and audio until it's too painful for him.

Do you think I'd run into too many playback problems if I encoded in mpeg 1?

Thanks,
bfg

bfg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 29, 2008 at 10:52:25 pm

MPEG2 is a better codec. In the later days of VCD I believe there was an MPEG2 variant called S-VCD.

You could try using a Dual Layer DVD but then there's working out the break point between layers and the risk that some players might not be able to handle it.

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 29, 2008 at 11:02:23 pm

That's what I thought about mpeg 1. Thanks for your help.

bfg

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 30, 2008 at 9:36:41 am

I don't see you having any problems fitting 3hr conference lectures (easy to compress material if shot using a tripod) on a single layer DVD.
I've done plenty of similar work in the past. Best results using 2pass VBR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]