FORUMS: list search recent posts

compression/interlacing question - sorenson/avid

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Wiebe
compression/interlacing question - sorenson/avid
on May 9, 2008 at 3:51:19 pm

I have read through some of the previous threads, but haven't found a situation that mirrored my own, although some similarities. I feel like I need to describe a bit before getting to the question.

I shoot DV with an XL2 primarily. I edit on an Avid Media Composer on a Power Mac G5. I generally compress things where I work (after hours;) using Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 on a windows computer.

I transfer things from home to work using a high quality Quicktime Movie, and I am attempting to compress to 720p/h264/mp4 file for upload to the Vimeo website. I seem to be running into interlacing issues--parallel lines/sawtooth edges/etc.

I have heard that it is best to de-interlace prior to compressing in Sorenson, so I have done this when creating the .mov file out of Avid. Is this the right thing to do?

Basically, I need help with this workflow (dv to high quality .mov to high quality .h264)--I want to post high quality files on the net--what is the best way of going about this? Is there a different method that I should try? Am I missing a setting?

I have experimented with various settings, and researching, but ... I am not the most technically savvy individual, so if there is more information I should add to this query feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: compression/interlacing question - sorenson/avid
on May 11, 2008 at 1:08:30 am

Although Squeeze doesn't have the best deinterlacing filters around, it's better to use those than anything Media Composer has.

Obviously you could set the XL2 to shoot in progressive mode and then you'd never have to worry about the horrible world of deinterlacing!

Return to posts index

Brian Wiebe
on May 13, 2008 at 2:55:53 pm

Thank you for your advice--I will definitely think about all of that in the future. I have a follow up question--if I have captured a finished show off of a beta tape, exported a quicktime reference, and am converting it to an mp4 in sorenson, is there any need to deinterlace? or does that depend on how the initial source was shot?

Thank you again!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 13, 2008 at 4:10:00 pm

What kind of Beta - SP or Digital?

SP is always recorded as interlaced so you would need to deinterlace.

As I understand it DigiBeta can be either interlaced or progressive.

Either way, it's usually very simple to see if you footage is interlaced, just watch the source slip for any 'fields' or 'combing' when there's movement in the frame.

Return to posts index

Brian Wiebe
on May 13, 2008 at 3:10:28 pm

Also, in your opinion what is the best way to shoot with an XL2--24p, 30p, 60i. I know a lot of people complain about the strobing of 24p, and now I am running into the interlacing issues with 60i, so is 30p the way to go?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 13, 2008 at 4:12:02 pm

I'd always shoot progressive. If you don't like the 'film-look' of 24p then go for 30p.

Return to posts index

Brian Wiebe
on May 13, 2008 at 4:21:27 pm

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]